Noob question GS750 year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob question GS750 year?

I just got a GS750 and it has only one front caliper. The registration says 1978 although I think it is early 1977. Am I right in think that the single caliper GS750 were only in late '76 and early '77?

Thanks.

Yes as far as i know all the 78's came with duel front calipers.

Comment

I'm not very good at looking at a bike and telling you what year it is....but you could check out some pics from the gallery, or post up some pics of yours.

Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

The parts fishe shows single disc bikes available through '79.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

the 750b is the only bike with one front caliper, which stopped in 77

Comment

NOT true. The EARLY 78s were shipped with single sided rotor AND wire wheels. Cast wheels and DUAL disc were an option in 78 as well however, and to be honest, that far back, the model years kind of skewed into one another. But to bet for sure, the ONLY things different between the 77 and the 78/79 750 were the fact that the 77 ONLY had single disc and wire wheels, the rear master was slightly different in that it didnt have a remote reseviour, the carbs were SLIGHTLY different in design and jetting, tho a 78 or 9 set will work just the same, the wiring harness only had ONE main fuse and no fuse block, and the gauge package had the ignition mounted IN it instead of in front of it, and the steering stem of the 77 will NOT accept tappered head bearings without some machine work because it has no relief cut in it. OTHERWISE, they're in every other way identical. There may be a couple of other little ones i left out, but fret not, any parts you need can be had from the other years up untill the 1980 model. If ya need something, BTW, I MAY just have it...i have hoarded 70s model 750 stuff for some reason...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              ...i have hoarded 70s model 750 stuff for some reason...
              Because you can.

Comment

NOT true. The EARLY 78s were shipped with single sided rotor AND wire wheels. Cast wheels and DUAL disc were an option in 78 as well however, and to be honest, that far back, the model years kind of skewed into one another. But to bet for sure, the ONLY things different between the 77 and the 78/79 750 were the fact that the 77 ONLY had single disc and wire wheels, the rear master was slightly different in that it didnt have a remote reseviour, the carbs were SLIGHTLY different in design and jetting, tho a 78 or 9 set will work just the same, the wiring harness only had ONE main fuse and no fuse block, and the gauge package had the ignition mounted IN it instead of in front of it, and the steering stem of the 77 will NOT accept tappered head bearings without some machine work because it has no relief cut in it. OTHERWISE, they're in every other way identical. There may be a couple of other little ones i left out, but fret not, any parts you need can be had from the other years up untill the 1980 model. If ya need something, BTW, I MAY just have it...i have hoarded 70s model 750 stuff for some reason...
                So,
                Mine has the ignition in FRONT,
                remote rear brake reservoir... 4-5 inches away,
                one fuse, no block,
                single disk,wire wheels,

Seems like it has some of both, eh?

Comment

77 was spoke wheel only with single disk. 78 came both ways with the E model having mags and duel disks. 79 came both ways also with the addition of the L model, with mags duel disks stepped seat and teardrop tank. I have 3 1979 models ...one of each. Dar

Comment

Originally posted by Snowdiver View Post
                    So,
                    Mine has the ignition in FRONT,
                    remote rear brake reservoir... 4-5 inches away,
                    one fuse, no block,
                    single disk,wire wheels,

Seems like it has some of both, eh?
                    Sounds like you have an EARLY 78... I would bet the model designation is GS750C....ORRR It IS a 750B, and someone replaced the rear master with a later model because FINDING a GOOD actual 77 rear MC is like finding a needle in 12 hay stacks.

Comment

Sounds like you have an EARLY 78... I would bet the model designation is GS750C....ORRR It IS a 750B, and someone replaced the rear master with a later model because FINDING a GOOD actual 77 rear MC is like finding a needle in 12 hay stacks.
                      I found the needle. Mine still has the original on it.

Comment

Originally posted by heathen View Post
                        It doesn't look like it's been replaced so
                        I guess it's an early '78.

Isn't there a way to tell using the VIN number?

Comment

Originally posted by heathen View Post
                          So does mine, BUT, after TWO attempts at rebuilding it, I do believe that the bore is scared beyond use, so I will be swapping it out for one of the umpteen billion that i have of the newer type..

Comment

You can tell from the frame numbers:

77 GS750B - 10001
                            78 GS750C - 32604
                            79 GS1000S
                            79 GS1000S (another one)
                            80 GSX750
                            80 GS550
                            80 CB650 cafe racer
                            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                            X