Fallen bike...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fallen bike...

Hmmm... In the interest of saving time, I will give you the short of it.

Ok, So I was cleaning my bike the other day (It was not running). I started the Bike after about a half hour, and the pavement under the center stand got a bit soft... the right foot of the center stand sank into the pavement and the bike slowly went over. I was holding onto it from the left, and it only went down on the crash bar. It was a very slow fall. Seriously, It was almost like I put it down slowly so as not to scratch anything.

Anyway, the bike was running when it went over, and it stalled out as soon as it hit the ground, and there was some Oil spillage. It didn’t look like, much but it was hard to tell just exactly how much since the ground was already wet from cleaning the bike.

So, I picked the bike up and eventually got it started and pulled it into the garage. Yesterday I noticed there was a small oil puddle underneath it. On the Left side, near the kickstand (I decided not to put it on the center stand at the time).

I have a few questions.
    1.) Is there anything I should be on the lookout for. Like damage to the motor from being tipped and stalling out?
    2.) Where is the Oil Overflow?
    3.) Is there one?
    4.) If so, could the oil I found in the garage be from the oil that spilled onto the bike when it fell over?

I took her out for a spin yesterday, but only around the block a couple of times. It seems to be ok, but I want to be certain before I ride it on a long run…

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Guest; 05-05-2009, 01:19 PM. Reason: To clear up some misconceptions to prevent negativity in the future....

Residual weepage from the mystery hole into the backside of the left hand cover.
    Excess running down the breather tube and leaving a mess.
    To be on the safe side, change out the oil and filter and ride the bike. If it went over as easy as you say...you hurt nothing. Good catch...how about a piece of plywood under the stand for next time.
    Last edited by Dave8338; 05-05-2009, 12:06 PM.

Comment

ok lets see if i got this right?

you wash your bike with it sitting there running, no air flow at all it goes over and you let it lay there on its side running till it finaly died on its own?????

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy View Post

you wash your bike with it sitting there running, no air flow at all it goes over and you let it lay there on its side running till it finaly died on its own?????
        Glad I'm not the only one who understood it that way...

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy View Post

Actually, No. I'm not an idiot. I washed my bike (NOT RUNNING). let it sit there to Air dry, then I started it to dry off the rest of it. It was running for like 2 minutes... not any longer than I would to let it warm up before a ride.

I said I left out a lot of details in order to save time. And as soon as it was over, it Stalled out. It's not like I let it sit on the ground for a half hour. Gawd! I ran around to the other side as soon as it was down to pick it up.

Again, I am not an Idiot! Accidents happen. the previous week, there was some fuel spilled in the same spot. It must have softened up the Pavement. There was also a really tiny hairline crack in the pavememnt, that I did not realize was there. The water and cleaner probably seeped through the crack and softened the ground under it. Creating a sort of SINK-HOLE.

Besides, that is not the point of this thread. I didn't put it here to have people criticize me.

For the rest of you, I apologize for that.
          Last edited by Guest; 05-05-2009, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
            Residual weepage from the mystery hole into the backside of the left hand cover.
            Excess running down the breather tube and leaving a mess.
            To be on the safe side, change out the oil and filter and ride the bike. If it went over as easy as you say...you hurt nothing. Good catch...how about a piece of plywood under the stand for next time.

Thanks dave. I will definitely do that. I was planning on doing an early oil change anyway. I'm certain it will help.

And yes, I will be doing the work IN the garage from this point forward. Sometimes lessons are hard learned. I'm just gald there was NO damage. Thank you.

Comment

Hi
              There was a thread about this a while ago on here.
              The guys bike fell over and the mount for the engine crashbar cracked the stator cover. Thread has a good pic.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Have a real close inspection of your bike under the motor in case you've suffered the same fate.

For what its worth, I dropped mine by flicking out the side stand and stupidly not checking it went out all the way. It hadn't. Leaned her over, and it kind of dawned on me it was going over a little too far, by which time it was too late to stop it. All I could do was kind of soften the fall.
              Never realised quite how heavy she is. Took all my strength to lift her upright.
              No damage thankfully, apart to my pride
              sigpic
              Current bikes:
              1982 GSX750EZ, 1989 CBR600F
              Previous bikes:
              More BSA Bantams than you can shake a stick at
              Bultaco 350 Trials, BSA C15
              1971 BSA B25SS Gold Star 250, 1969 BSA A65 Lightning
              1976 HONDA CB750 K6

Comment

Originally posted by Stefnwolf View Post
                Hi
                There was a thread about this a while ago on here.
                The guys bike fell over and the mount for the engine crashbar cracked the stator cover. Thread has a good pic.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Have a real close inspection of your bike under the motor in case you've suffered the same fate.
                I will definitely look at it closer tonight. I am sure it is fine. I only have a couple of Pits from the course pavement that the crashbar landed on. Nothign major so I assume there are not dents, but better to be safe. Thanks for the Link!

Comment

I do not see any cause for oil at all.

If the bike went down as softly as stated then the chance for damage to the stator cover is slight, but worth a check.

Even so, there is little chance of any appreciable quantity of oil escaping through a crack in only a few seconds because there is no pressure.

Other than that I can only suggest you had some residual oil that may have mixed with soap/water and ran off when the angle was changed.

You MIGHT have loose bolts on the stator cover and the fall allowed the cover to shift a bit and allowed oil to get past the gasket. If so, just tighten it up and you wil likely find it seals properly.

Check the stator cover and, if nothing is found, ride on.
                  Last edited by argonsagas; 05-05-2009, 04:17 PM.
                  Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Clarification. the bike fel over on the Right Side... Sorry for the confusion. It is possible I suppose that the oil came from teh cleaner mixing with any old stuff that was on the engine... Hmm... Good point!

I'm planning an oil change soon anyway, cause I don't know when the PO did it last. it sat all winter with the PO's oil in it, and I changed it before I took her out the first time this spring. I wanted to get as much of the old stuff out as possible. Just to clarify, I rode it maybe a dozen REALLY short trips after I bought it and then put her up for the winter to do some appearence mods to it.

Comment

Working...
                    X