what is wrong with my headlight?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is wrong with my headlight?????

i have an 81 gs450L and the headlights keep going out. i just bought a new bulb and it just blew out. why???? also, what is the extra ground wire inside the casing that isn't connected to the wiring harness.

Could be a charging problem or body oil left on the bulb when you install it. The extra ground is usually for a parking light. There should be a hot wire for that somewhere in the headlight bucket as well.

Comment

First suspicion would be faulty bulbs.....do you have sealed beams or replaceable bulbs?

If sealed beam, STRONGLY recommend you get rid of it and get a lamp that has a replaceable halogen bulb.....far more light, and placed much better on the road.

I cannot think of a spare wire in the headlamp....you need three...one high beam, one low beam, and one ground. It never hurts to add an extra ground, from the case direct to the frame. (or splice it into the original ground wire, cover the splice with liquid electrical tape, and then run it to the frame.

If you are using good bulbs, then you may be getting too much voltage. which may result from a faulty Regulator/ Rectifier, but more likely, you have a faulty wire, either hot wire or ground, making intermittent contact, and causing a surge that blows the bulb.

Leave the bulb out, and check the circuit with a volt meter (digital ones work best) Check it with just the battery, then start the engine and run it to 5000 RPM. The reading should not exceed 14 1/2 volts.

If your readings are OK, as they likely will be, go through the entire wiring circuit for breaks and / or loose connections.

If you are getting a high reading, print out the Stator Papers on this website, take them and your volt-ohmmeter to the bike and follow the instructions, step by step.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

do i need to get a special kind of headlight at a motorcycle dealer or could i use a regular headlight that you can get at walmart

Comment

You absolutely MUST use a motorcycle lamp. They have very different characteristics in the lens than auto lamps, giving you a very different display of light on the road, and auto lamps will die quickly from the vibrations of a bike.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

there is a car headlight in there now and i guess that could be the reason why it keeps blowing. can i get a bulb at any motorcycle dealer or do i need to go to a suzuki dealer.

Comment

Is it just a bulb or a complete sealed beam unit? Even with an H4 you can get a heavy duty auto bulb that should hold up.

Comment

it is a complete sealed beam unit

Comment

What diameter, 7"?

Comment

actually, the entire headlamp housing has been replaced and now there is an 5.5 inch bulb in it

Comment

If I were you I would go through the wiring looking for cut or bare wires. Once that's done just try one of the cheap sealed beam units to see if it blows again. This is probably what you need, http://www.j-pcycles.com/shop/group-...ID=68&DPID=326.

Comment

When I got my GS1100 it had an '80s vintage halogen sealed-beam in there (this is the big rectangular light). Those were the early halogen lamps with the filament all alone inside the big empty space. I replaced that with the best current auto halogen sealed-beam technology: This has the filament inside its own little capsule inside the larger space. Much, much better light pattern, and much brighter, but still not ideal for motorcycling. It'll do until I can find a cheap original headlight for the H4 bulb, or similar (a fair weather rider, I don't ride at night much). Always on, only about 3500km/2200m so far, but no problems yet.

Sadly, the original owner of the bike lost the original headlamp when he had a small Vetter fairing installed in its place.

Comment

I had an odd headlight incident just a couple weeks ago. Riding along and *POOF* no low beam.

Grumble..grumble.. switch to high beam.

*POOF* no high beam. 8O

After spending the night in a cheap motel (Far from home, 3AM, spare bulb for some reason not in the tool pocket.) I get a new H4 sealed beam.

Inspecting the bike, I see nothing wrong. Install light: *POOF*.

SONOFA.....!!

Then I notice the new battery I put in has a loose ground wire. Knowing the oddities of the GS electrical system, I can see this causing spikes in the electricals. Tighten it down, inspect the system further, all is well. High beam stays on for an hour's ride, so I go buy a Halogen H4 and install it. No problems since. (Got the partially blown H4 as a spare, too).

Moral: check your battery cables carefully after replacing the battery.

Comment

Working...
                          X