Super rich on #2 all of a sudden.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super rich on #2 all of a sudden.

So, to stop my "pop pop" problem i've been having, I did the "highest RPM method" to set my mixture screws. I did 3 with moderate ease, but #2 was giving me problems. I took it for a ride, it was missing on #2 at idle, but kicking in at higher rpms. So pulled the plugs on #1 and #2, 2 running rich, swaped plugs, switched wires on #2 and #3, same thing, problem with #2. What could cause the carb to run rich and not be adjusted by the mixture screw? Could there be something jammed in there? Something stuck? They are clean (though I haven't opened it up this time round).

1982 GS850G

Thanks,

The vacuum line to the petcock goes from carb #2 on your bike, if the petcock diaphram has failed fuel will flow uncontrolled into that cylinder, very rich. Could also be a stuck float, maybe something else internal to the carb.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Check the petcock vacum line as stated above. I had a similar issue in the past and lo and behold that was the cause if the issue.

Comment

Hey, has anyone mentioned that you probably need a new petcock?
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

And/or the idle air screw tip is broken off in the carb body.......
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Really? Woah, it was working great. Shoot.

Comment

Petcock likely, but a stuck float COULD also be the culprit. Id check the petcock/vac line first just to avoid pulling the carbs off if you dont need to. Broken tip on the screw would make it stay where it was or lean out, not richen up.

Comment

Working...
              X