Any turbo guys out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any turbo guys out there?

I am working on a '83 gs750e. I fabricated a custom turbo set up using a garrett turbocharger. I worked out most of the bugs exept the carburetors. It will idle and run good up until about 4000 rpm(right when it starts building boost),then it seems like it runs out of fuel. Now before you jump to conclusions, I am using a pitot tube to pressurize the fuel bowls, I installed a fuel pump and regulator, so fuel delivery should not be a problem. I also tried using very large main jets and it doesn't seem to be cleaning up. Should I go for a dynojet stage 3 kit for a starting point or try something else? And where is a good place to buy jets and anything else I may need?

not really an answer to your question... and probably a stupid question from myself, but arent you worried about the heat from the turbo damaging your front tire?? You dont seem to have a whole lot of clearance there and I know how hot a turbo can get.. lol

Comment

Search for member "Kris V"
      He's built several turbo bikes.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I have nothing constructive to add. Never messed with turbos on carbs, and never on bikes at all.

But it is very cool. I hope you get it working. My 2cents is buy more life insurance before you get it running right.

Comment

I like it! A tracker? If not watch the speed bumps!

As for what you are describing and keep in mind that the only turbo I own is in a T-Bird...it does sound as though a fuel shortage is the problem. As far as kits are concerned a Stage 3 may do it but I'de calculate your CCM/CFM first and see to it that the carbs themselves are up to the task.

If so...play on. Also I don't know if the stock ignition is up to the task, that may need to be looked into if not already done.

Comment

Got an old school Blake kit on a 1980 GS11. Haven't rode it for about 3 years. Put it away after a mishap and haven't missed it. Way more power than the chassis and brakes can handle

Comment

Do a search

Comment

Wow. That thing is waaaay out of my class. Maybe it will inspire me to clean mine up a bit!

Comment

Check out dragbike.com
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

How much fuel pressure? What do you have the regulator set at? Also, if you are using stock needles, that needs to be changed first. The fact that it runs ok at lower rpm tells me you don't have too MUCH fuel pressure but it could also not be enough. Do you have a Pingel petcock on it yet or just the stock one? If STOCK, you WILL need a Pingel. I would start with the needles & try Dragbike.com also. I am suzukiray on that site. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                      How much fuel pressure? What do you have the regulator set at? Also, if you are using stock needles, that needs to be changed first. The fact that it runs ok at lower rpm tells me you don't have too MUCH fuel pressure but it could also not be enough. Do you have a Pingel petcock on it yet or just the stock one? If STOCK, you WILL need a Pingel. I would start with the needles & try Dragbike.com also. I am suzukiray on that site. Ray.
                      I am using a mallory bypass style regulator with a boost signal port. Pressure is set at 3psi at idle and it is about 6psi at 0" vacuum. the fuel petcock is stock but I took out the diaphram. Any idea where I can the needles?

Comment

1400 cc turbo in 1150

Place your GS performance, tuning or mods related questions in this forum.

Comment

I'm a turbo guy, but not on motorcycles. I work with turbos daily. Disgusting, nasty, technical stuff that makes people fall asleep.

What are you doing to the timing when boost builds? You need to retard it, almost the opposite of how you advance timing as a NA engine builds speed. I don't think this is the entire problem you are desribing, but it was worth asking.

I too am curious if you are starving the fuel pump when the fuel pressure ramps up.

~Adam

Comment

CV carbs

OK, correct me if i'm wrong. Looks to me like you are pressurizing the side of the carbs that originally connected to the air filter. CV carbs are opened up by the pressure being lower, (more vacuum), on the head side of the carbs, which raises the slides. Now if you generate anything higher than atmospheric pressure, or vacuum on the air filter side, won't this just slam the sliders shut. Most turbo setups I've seen run either fuel injection, or 1 carb on the inlet side of the turbo. Ive seen several running an S&S Super G, or a smoothbore carb attached directly to the inlet side of the turbo. Go to http://www.mrturbo.com/ , the customer gallery might give you some ideas.

Comment

KY, this is a "Blow Through" system & the CVs work fine this way. These systems have been done this way for a long time. I really think it is a fuel delivery issue, as in it isn't getting ENOUGH! You can either get a Dynojet jet kit or, if it were me, a FactoryPro kit. FactoryPro's # is 415-491-5920 Ray.

Comment

Working...
                              X