83 GS1100 GL Alternator Wiring.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS1100 GL Alternator Wiring.

Hey everyone. So I am took my bike apart not realizing that the three wires coming from my alternator are all white. The wires to from my bike to the alternator are yellow, white w/ blue stripe, white w/ green stripe. What is the easiest way to figure out if I have it hooked up the right way? Someone told me once if the alternator is hooked up right the bike will run if you disconnect the battery but that didn't work for me. I tried using a voltometer but I am new to this and may have messed up with trying to use that. Anyone have a suggestion as to how I can figure out the write way it needs to be wired up?

Thanks.
    Tom

Originally posted by TK685 View Post
    Hey everyone. So I am took my bike apart not realizing that the three wires coming from my alternator are all white. The wires to from my bike to the alternator are yellow, white w/ blue stripe, white w/ green stripe. What is the easiest way to figure out if I have it hooked up the right way? Someone told me once if the alternator is hooked up right the bike will run if you disconnect the battery but that didn't work for me. I tried using a voltometer but I am new to this and may have messed up with trying to use that. Anyone have a suggestion as to how I can figure out the write way it needs to be wired up?

Thanks.
    Tom
    There is no correct order for the wires from the stator to the R/R. They can be hooked up to the R/R in any order as long as the three stator wires go to the R/R.

Comment

Originally posted by TK685 View Post

Thanks.
      Tom
      Don't try to run the bike without the battery.
      If you get it to run, it can destroy the ignitor.

As Billy Ricks said, all the wires from the stator are equal.
      Most bikes use one color for them all the way to the R/R, Suzuki for some reason used a rainbow ...

Comment

thanks. well how do you know for sure that the alternator is working though? Just ride it for a good long time and see if the battery stays working?

Comment

The testing procedure involves disconnecting the three stator wires and running the bike at 5,000 rpm. You then place the probe of a multi-tester or voltmeter in each of the three wires. + probe in one terminal and - probe in another. Keep the + probe on the same wire and check the other two with the - probe. Then move the + probe to the next wire and check the other two with the - probe. Again + on the remaining wire. Check each of the wires against the other two this way. I'm not sure what voltage you should look for on an 1100, my 700 calls for 80 volts AC. You should get consistent readings on each attempt.

Comment

Hi Mr. TK685,

I hope I haven't overlooked giving you a proper welcome. Please click here for your mega-welcome. It will get you started on your GS adventure. Pay particular attention to the "Top 10 Common Issues, the Stator Papers, and the Carb Rebuild series.

Then take a gander at this documentation from my website:

Regulator/Rectifier Replacement

There are other electrical repair/mod/cleanup articles on the "Odds and Ends" page. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
            X