Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What causes the extra burst of fuel in the carb when you give it throttle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got it. Looks like I have another Sat. morning project. I'll keep you updated!

Comment

BTW, have you done the valves yet? If not, I would do those while you are at it. They probably wouldn't cause your problem but they still are a good idea to do.

Chris

Comment

Valve clearance has been checked and taken care of. Thanks for the FYI.

Comment

Pacman and others, it runs...sort of. I cleaned all the passages and it runs and revs up to 4500 but then bogs. I can hold it at 3500 but that's it. I had some backfiring also when I got it to 4000. Running off a satellite tank gravity feed. When I shut it off for a few minutes then tried to start it I couldn't. Looking around I noticed gas was dripping out the airbox overflow tube. Haven't had anytime and won't until tomorrow but what are your thoughts? I had the floats in spec but know I was in a rush and mixed and matched so I'll recheck them. Otherwise float pins function properly. What to do next?

Comment

Originally posted by Roemy24 View Post
            Pacman and others, it runs...sort of. I cleaned all the passages and it runs and revs up to 4500 but then bogs. I can hold it at 3500 but that's it. I had some backfiring also when I got it to 4000. Running off a satellite tank gravity feed. When I shut it off for a few minutes then tried to start it I couldn't. Looking around I noticed gas was dripping out the airbox overflow tube. Haven't had anytime and won't until tomorrow but what are your thoughts? I had the floats in spec but know I was in a rush and mixed and matched so I'll recheck them. Otherwise float pins function properly. What to do next?
            Fuel flowing out of the airbox tube means that your carb float bowl(s) are overflowing. You can probably see on the airbox side of the carb which one looks different and shows fuel coming out. The fuel is probably flowing out of one of the openings on the face of the carb. This is a vent hole.

Once you figure out which carb (hopefully they aren't all four doing this) you will probably need to check the float valve needle and seat to see why this valve is allowing fuel to keep flowing into the float bowl when it shouldn't. You may need to replace the needle and seat or just clean the passage leading to it extremely well.

BTW, I recently had an issue with my float bowls overflowing and it turned out to be crap in the fuel passages leading to the needle and seat area that kept coming loose and getting stuck under the needle thereby causing a leak. I chased this problem for most of the winter before I finally figured out that it was just dirt where dirt shouldn't be that was causing the problem.

Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris, I'll look into that area within the next few days and see what I come up with.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacman View Post
                Sort of.

The more time you spend on your carbs the more my explanation will make sense. Or maybe not.

Chris
                The more time I spend on my carbs the more I like fuel injection

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
                  The more time I spend on my carbs the more I like fuel injection
                  That's certainly true.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X