X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak question.

I was wondering if anyone knew whether an oil leak here,

Could be showing up here,

Or is this just my tensioner gasket leaking, again?

Looks like it to me. I have had problems in the past with them leaking, and when they do, oil will go EVERYWHERE once its hot. Id suggest scrubbing the motor down however, and getting a better idea of exactly where its coming from, but it DOES look like the tensioner gasket to me.

Comment

Leak

Yes. A leaking head gasket can have oil leaking out the back of the cylinders. There are air passages in the cylinder for cooling. Lets the oil pass straight through when riding at highway speed. I tend to agree with CafeKid though. Get everything cleaned up, and try to find the source.

Comment

cleaned it up and bad news

Well got her cleaned off and put back together and found the leak to be coming from the head gasket right above the tensioner. Sorry for posting a question I so obviously could have just done and figured out.

I had thought about the passages through the cylinder and those were dry.

Sounds like a good project for next winter. Tear down the top end for gasket replacement! I am not going to damage anything riding like this will I?

Comment

Damage

Just keep her full of oil, and wear clothes you don't mind getting black spots on.

Comment

Working...
          X