idle problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

idle problem

I'm back with another question. I got my bike running it had 2 fouled out plugs on the left side. I am not sure but am wondering if the carb not being synced or the air, fuel set, or the valves not being set would cause the idle to hang up when I rev it. It will go up to what ever I rev it to and stay after letting off the throttle then after a few seconds it will drop back down. I checked the coils ,they are ok, new plugs, what should be the order I check things? I think the plugs fouled out from the screw for the air/fuel mix open to 3 1/2 to 4 turns. I checked and it was only supposed to be 1 1/2. I think it is something to do with the carbs but should I check elsewhere also. I got the valve cover gasket so I will check the valve on the weekend but was going to try some easier things first if possible. I do not see any place for air leaks, it seems to idle ok without reving. Did not see a problem with throttle cable. Thanks for any ideas

Before making any changes to the carbs its important that the valves be adjusted properly. Have your carbs been cleaned properly. After cleaning and reassembly, you should bench sync them, adjust the mixture screws by highest idle method and finally vacuum sync them. Make sure your plugs are clean, your air filter installed and no leaks in your intake system. Sort of pointless trying to make adjustments until you've covered the basics.

Comment

I am going to check them, the valves, but after the carb rebuild kits the thing would not run at all, once, but the left side pipes were cool to touch. I checked some stuff and replaced the 2 plugs and the thing started in half a second. WOW! ain't did that ever. I am just wandering really what else to check if anything for the idle hanging. I searched and read alot of posts but they do not seem to have the same problem.Carbs are gone through and o-ring kit, rebuild kits, new intakes and o-rings. I haven't ordered the barbs for the homemade sync I have but will this week.

Comment

If everything is setup properly, when you rev the bike up the revs should drop as fast as they climbed. When the revs take longer to come down this usually indicates a lean condition. I say that when everything is working normally. In your case, it is not clear to me that your carbs are adjusted properly. If the carbs are clean and there are no intake leaks, set the base idle and adjust each mixture screw for highest idle. Once you do that you need to vacuum sync them.

Replacing the plugs is not going to cure your fouling, why did they foul in the first place??

Comment

1.5 turns on the pilot screws are just a starting point, you need to tweak them further to achive the highest idle speed. My guess is that you will wind up somewhere near 2.5 - 3.0 turns out for best running. And yes, a lean idle mixture setting can cause your idle to hang.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks that gives me a place to start. I will mess around until it runs better or I set the valves.It was poping a little but not real bad. I will try to set the mix screws and check the plugs. I am not sure about the 2 plugs that fouled, They may have done it before I put the carb kits in? The gas would get in the air box just sitting and on prime for a short amount of time. I figured it would be cheaper to get the whole kits. I found out that main jets were 115 instead of 110. 110 being the right one.I will work it out just need a push in the right direction. I will get everything set (carb wise) and valve wise. I am interested in using that excel spread sheet. Again Thanks very much

Comment

Working...
            X