Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission Question

Hello,

Well I think I have the issue figured out to get the bike running on all 4 cylinders instead of just the 2 it's running on currently...but I didn't have the equipment to get it going the other night, so I resorted to sitting on the seat, pretending to ride...found out something interesting.

As far as I know, I've never tried to shift the bike out of Neutral since it's never been running, and last I checked, starting a bike in gear isn't the best idea unless you want it to take off.

So there I was, admiring the lights that show what gear you're in, and enjoying the "Ping...click" as I shift from 1 to 2....then...when I try to shift to 3...."Ping" no click..and no fancy "3" light.

As far as I can tell, it will not go into 3rd. Now keep in mind, the bike is sitting...not running....so should it be free to work all the way up and down the transmittion regardless? I'm now afraid that if I get it running, try and shift into 3rd while it's moving, either nothing's going to happen, or I'm going to break something. Any ideas?

If you rotate the rear tire a little while you shift, it should go through the gears
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

The transmission needs to be spinning, at least a little, for changing gears. Rolling the bike forward, or spinning the rear wheel while on the centerstand should do it.

Comment

Ok, that makes sense. I guess like any other transmission, things need to be lined up. I'll give that a go this weekend. Thanks! (Now I'll get to see all the lights)

Comment

Do NOT force the shift lever, it should move in pretty easy. That is how shift forks and drums get damaged.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
          X