Fuel tank enlargement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel tank enlargement

I need a larger tank. I have an 82 GS650G that I commute 62 miles each way on. I have to fill up before I leave home and before I leave work every day, since one full tank won't make the round trip.

What are my options for a larger tank on this puppy? About 5 gallons would be great.

There'z auxiliary tanks to be had out there. Run 'motorcycle auxiliary fuel tank' through Google; it'll come up with something.

Comment

How big is the original tank?

I work in litres..so on my 78 GS1000 the standard capacity is supposed to be 19 litres. In order to fit a few more in, I drilled out the breater holes in the neck of the filler. This allows filling of the tank right to the top while on the centrestand. I think I have fitted in 21 litres when I have had to.

In commuting conditions like you mention, I would expect a range of 380 to 450 kms.

Comment

fuel tank

In the mid 80s there was a guy running around Kingston Canada. that had a GS850 tank on his shaft 650. He said it was not a bolt-on mod. From a fading memory- it looked alright to me. I seem to remember the seat had to be moved back.
        Suzookeeper ger.

Comment

I also have an '82 GS650G.

The owner's manual says that we have a 3.8 gallon tank, but when I run it down to where I need to turn the petcock to reserve, it takes less than 2 gallons to fill it up. I've always wondered about that.

How much gas do you put in when you fill it?

If you find an auxiliary tank, let us know.

Del

Comment

Originally posted by Del
            I also have an '82 GS650G.

The owner's manual says that we have a 3.8 gallon tank, but when I run it down to where I need to turn the petcock to reserve, it takes less than 2 gallons to fill it up. I've always wondered about that.

How much gas do you put in when you fill it?

If you find an auxiliary tank, let us know.

Del
            Your petcock scren is probably clogged, remove and clean/replace it and it should allow all your gas to flow. :twisted:

Comment

Working...
            X