No announcement yet.

GS 650g katana, Gear or shaft "howling"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it's any consolation, that bike is becoming quite collectable now. It's probably worth fixing it. There's more than enough info on this site to strip it down and fix it yourself.

Comment

That is one of the bikes I search for....I'd spend whatever it takes to fix it.

Post up some pics of your problem and of the bike as well. It'll help diagnose the problem and let me....uhuhmm......eerrrr.....I mean, everyone see your bike.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Babyblue_katana View Post
        I checked the final drive oil, and its all there + some, and it looks like new.

I then pulled the rubber boot back at the engine-end of the shaft and some 100ml of very rusty looking oil came out, I already know what that means (leaky rubber thingy at the bevel gear), it must leak slowly though since my oil level in the engine is constant so far.

I guess I have narrowed it down to the 2nd gearbox (Dammit...DAMMIT ), that fix will probably cost more than I paid for the bike
        I believe parts for a regular 650g or 650gl will swap into your baby Kat.. I have replaced the secondary in one of my 650g, not too difficult if you have been in a motor before. Check Ebay or maybe people here have a parts. Just remember that you want a matched set of secondary gears. Shouldn't be that expensive, just a lot of tear down to get to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
          I never knew that about the 650. That is very interesting. I hope we haven't given babyblue a 'bum steer'. This is why having a manual for each particular bike is so handy. I never knew that the 650 was different to larger 'shafties'.
          Wow, i didnt either....That just seems a bit silly. But, I guess they knew what they were doing better than I

Comment

Working...
          X