Crap, won't start...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crap, won't start...

Quick and dirty... Yesterday, I noticed that my bike's starter was acting weird. Key on, kill switch set to run, hit the button, nothing. After trying for a bit, it finally worked. Later yesterday night she fired right up.

This morning, once again, fired right up, no problem. Stopped on my way to work, and she started acting up again, but then boom, started right up.

Now, I went out to try and go get something for lunch, and once again, nothing happens when I hit the start button. I'm assuming bad connections for the clutch switch, the kill switch, or the starter switch. I can't check them out at work though. I'll need to be able to get her started to at least get home, and I assume I'll be able to do this by jumping the starter. Problem is, I have no idea where the starter is, and where the points to jump are.

Does anyone have pics of this they can post? Thanks in advance!

Use a screwdriver, connect the plus battery lead to the little trigger wire on top of the solenoid, located under the left side panel. This bypasses everything else on the bike and uses the solenoid to power the starter.

If this does not work, jump the two big fat wires on the starter solenoid together. The main wire from the battery plus, and the other fat wire which goes to the starter. This will make big sparks, but will power the starter directly.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You can always push start the bike. Helps to have a hill nearby.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Use a screwdriver, connect the plus battery lead to the little trigger wire on top of the solenoid, located under the left side panel. This bypasses everything else on the bike and uses the solenoid to power the starter.

If this does not work, jump the two big fat wires on the starter solenoid together. The main wire from the battery plus, and the other fat wire which goes to the starter. This will make big sparks, but will power the starter directly.
        I understand the concept to jumping a starter, I've done it on a car before (talk about big sparks...). Problem is, I have no idea what the solenoid on the bike looks like.

Comment

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Thank you kindly!

I also just thought of something else... I had a very, *very* similar problem last season, and it turned out to be my negative battery connection had come loose... Turn the key, I'd get lights and all, but get *nothing* when I hit the starter button. I totally didn't think to check that while I was out there, but on my next break I'll run back out, tighten it up, and see if that fixes it.

Comment

I am having the same issue, just when it rains

Comment

Hi,

Another view under the left sidecover. The solenoid is that silver thing just above and to the left of the fusebox.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Okay... so I just came back in from the parking lot. I tightened down the battery connections, that wasn't the issue (dang!).

I undid the switch under the clutch level, and it was pretty corroded. Cleaned it up a bit, and put it back together. Didn't make a difference (wondering if it's still maybe that switch... I may have to short those two wires together).

Comment

Score!!

It was the clutch switch after all!! I don't have tools at work to do a proper disconnect of that wiring, so I did a quick and dirty fix... I ran back outside with some scissors, cut the wires at the switch, stripped the ends, and twisted 'em together.

I'll get that cleaned up when I get home. For now, I'm just glad that I'll be getting home, haha.

Thanks for all the help guys! Once again, this site (and its members) proves that it's one of the best things on the internet.

Comment

Working...
                    X