Throttle stuck or something else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle stuck or something else?

Saturday while out riding with a few other GSers, I was in 3rd at about 6500rpm - and felt like the throttle stuck and it raced for a second and when I let off, it quit and went back to normal. Didn't happen again.

Today I rolled the bike out for a quick ride before work and while riding it did it again, except this time I had to hit the kill switch to make it stop. It seemed to be smoking from the front of the motor too, but that could've been my oil leak burning a little on a hot motor, I don't know. Anyways, when I started it back up it immediately raced up to 7k rmps before I hit the kill switch - like someone had the throttled pulled all the way back. Tried it a few more times with the same result.

I assume that the cable is broke or the throttle is stuck or something. I am on path with my assumptions or could there be another issue?

Adjusted valves, tuned carbs on Saturday.

Tuned carbs on Saturday..... before this started happening ??
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
      Tuned carbs on Saturday..... before this started happening ??
      Yeah, not sure what you're getting at though. Am I missing something?

Comment

The throttle cable is probably binding somewhere, or perhaps one of the ferrules at either end of the cable jumped out of its seat.

Basically, take the tank off and eyeball the cable and carb linkage intently while working throttle back and forth until you spot the problem.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

The clutch cable has an anchor to the motor because it can get caught between carbs 1 & 2, causing it to hang up. Once you get in there, you should be able to see what's causing the problem.

Comment

Okay. So the throttle linkage itself was getting stuck about 3/4 of the way open. I pushed it down with my finger last week and worked it back and forth while the motor was off with no problem. Sprayed wd-40 on the springs etc.

Today go out to ride it, got the throttle wide open in second gear and it sticks again. At least this time I know what's going on - so I hit the kill switch and once I stop I reach down and push on it, popping it back down to place.

After some experimentation, it only does it when I give it full throttle while riding. As long as I stay below 5k rpms it seems okay. I stopped and sprayed some cleaner on the springs and cable etc, worked it back and forth, but when I took it back out it did it again when twisting the throttle wide open.

What could be causing it to get stuck, only wide open and while riding? Any ideas?

Comment

rather than riding it like that just simulate riding it there...also lube the inside of the cable......

Take your throttle apart and take the cable, wrap a rag around it and spray it with white lithium grease or chain wax till it comes out the other end

Comment

Disconnect both ends of the cable and go to full throttle (with the engine off) and see if something binds up at either end. If your grip snaps back freely and the rocker on the carbs returns to normal freely then the problem could be as simple as your cable. And for god's sake stop riding it at full throttle until you get it fixed. I don't mean to tell you how to ride, I just don't want to read a thread about you going down. Hope you find the gremlin.

Comment

If you have worm clamps on your fuel line make sure they are not hitting on the linkage

Comment

Working...
                  X