a techie challenge....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a techie challenge....

O.K., Billy Ricks and I have kicked this around a tad, and he's probably tired of my mad ravings, so here it goes.
    I have an 82GS750E, 16v TSCC, 4 into 1, pods, Dyna S, accel coils, Dynojet stage 3, motor never apart...still runs good, mileage unknown.
    I also have a 89 Kat 750 motor w/ carbs, blown tranny and an '90 gixxer 750 motor, no carbs, one tooth busted off second gear.
    The air cooled and oil cooled 750's appear very similar, and I know looks can be deceiving but...how much do these motors share.
    Con rod big ends? Valves/valve train? Cams?
    I have visions of a high rpm air cooled screamer with some Gixxer internals in the bottom, a street ported head, Gixxer cams and valve train, re-jetted Kat semi-flatslides, good size oil cooler...damn....here I go again...its a compulsion 8O
    Anybody try any of this maddness? Am I just torturing myself, dreaming of turning my old GS into a giant killer, capable of dusting ninjas and running with the big dogs?
    Who's got the specs...tell me it can't be done, please.
    I've been bolting stuff onto my bike from other Suzukis, like Kats and Gixxers, and everything seems to fit pretty good, like Legos. Maybe I can snap together a killer motor from the junk I have in my garage!
    My wife says I'm sick.

I sure don't know the particulars, but I'd be inclined to build the '90gsxr engine by selling parts from the other two and using the funds to purchase a tranny(or 2nd gear) and carbs. I would think you'd be starting with a much better platform and there should be tons of HP parts for the GSXR. My .02

Comment

Dan is right, I'd put the work into the Gixxer motor. The '90 motors were supposed to be the best of the air cooled. They look very similar to a GS motor and will fit in a GS frame. That would give you a real sleeper that would upset more than a few guys on newer machines. If I ever need a new motor that is what I will do. I already have a Yosh Duplex from a Gixxer and RS flatslides that would work.

Comment

i'm the third to chime in, but i'm with the others. fix the Gixxer engine if you want to use it. its output is higher, it revs higher, and its a race motor.

ask some Gixxer guys which parts crossover to the 750. the 600 and 1000 are basically the same, so the trans gears might switch over and even carbs if rejetted properly.

heck you could even get a stock fuel injection kit from a newer 750 and go that route 8)

~Adam

Comment

swaps

Thanks for the six cents worth guys, its worth every penny
          I would love to mount that gixxer motor, it would definitley go with the "spirit" :twisted: of my bike, and the 6th gear would be great. Does anyone make a rebuild "kit" for those motors? They are like the small block chevy of the motorcycle world, but I haven't seen too many "packages" that would make rebuilding it a one stop deal.
          The other factor is the large oil cooler...I've allready mocked it up with the 41mm Kat forks/17" wheel, and it puts it very close to the header, not to mention the lock to lock clearance.
          I guess I just like the air cooled motors and the idea of infusing some of the later versions high performance into the old. Its too bad the 750's have been overshadowed by 1100's. There is a lot more info out there on how to modify the big ones. I'll have to make up my mind this winter.
          Decisions...decisions :?

Comment

Hello Mark
            I am planning on shoehorning a 92 GSXR 750 motor into my GS550ES this fall. I still need some pieces. Does anybody have a line on an oil cooler ?? Anyway, mark I think you should try it. And post often.

Comment

wap

I think its all gonna boil down to the cost of rebuilding the Gixxer motor. I will definitley keep you posted.
              Mark

Comment

From what I have heard the transmission repair is probably $4-500 if you supply the labor It may be more cost effitive to sell both the Kat and Gixxer motors and buy good a Gixxer motor

Comment

Working...
                X