Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Chemicals and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

From another thread:
    This JB Weld is the finest miracle adhesive known to man. I've repaired frames with it, and yes, repaired the fuel petcock on my FJ1100. It
    holds well as long as it is cured for 24-hours. It is an incredible
    cold-weld adhesive that is very cheap and available anywhere for
    $5.00 !! It is impervious to most oils and gas, based on my own
    experience. It will not stick to poly materials such as teflon or
    plastic seat pans.
    I love this product with all my heart and soul, as I can't get enough
    of it. I would eat it if I could !! We can be proud this is an American-
    made product made in the great state of Texas.
    Thank God this was not made in China.
    Well, after reading jadesystem's lyrical praises there for JBWeld, it's time to ask, What's your favourite chemical product when you're fixing your GS Suzuki?

For myself, I reckon that aviation non-hardening gasket cement is wonderful stuff (used sparingly, of course).

And your nomination for the GS Chemical Product of the Year is...

Originally posted by tfb View Post

And your nomination for the GS Chemical Product of the Year is...
    I nominate Beer.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      I nominate Beer.
      Besides the obvious I choose
      BERRYMANS
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Ooh, beer, that's a good one.

Product I used the most? High temp exhaust paint on my old 550 header pipes...grr

I'll vote for blue loctite. Vital stuff.

Comment

Brake cleaner.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            Besides the obvious I choose
            BERRYMANS

A second of this nomination.
            and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
            __________________________________________________ ______________________
            2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Blue locite and antiseize, a bolt or screw shouldn't go in without one or the other.
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Spray carb cleaner. It will clean anything squeeky clean.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by AOD View Post
                    ...................... Product I used the most? High temp exhaust paint on my old 550 header pipes...grr...............
                    Not sure what type of paint you're using but I'd suggest trying 'stove black' (like they use for pot belly stoves). It'll withstand the metal getting red hot.

Comment

The chemicals in my brain tell me not to ride in the rain. (what a woose)

If that fails 4hrs of truck wash/polishing is normal.

Comment

A few of my favorites...

Mineral Spirits (paint thinner) - effective and reasonably safe degreaser. After use, I save the black stuff and dump it into a 2 liter plastic bottle - the sludge will settle to the bottom and allow you to pour off and reuse the good stuff on top.

Evapo Rust - removes the brown rust and doesn't harm metal. Great for those chrome parts.

Phosphoric Acid - more aggressive rust eater than the Evapo Rust, and leaves the metal surface with a protective layer.

Diesel engine motor oil - has a more robust additive package, including more zinc, than auto oil while costing less in many cases due to marketing considerations. Many motorcycle specific oils don't have as much zinc as diesel oil either, while typically costing 3+ times as much.

Por-15 paint and sealers - once this paint cures, it's almost impervious to chemicals. The tank sealer is far superior to Kreem, and the engine paint I've used stands up to brake cleaner and carb cleaner spray extremely well - better than rattle can products I've used before.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I think it's anti-seize compound. I find myself using it everywhere.

I've even discovered it makes a great heatsink grease.

Comment

Flitz metal Polish.
                            Al Jones
                            82 Suzuki GS850GL
                            97 Suzuki TL1000S
                            "Godspeed and may your rubber not fail".
                            Bill Cosby - "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
                            sigpic

___ -\
                            (O)--(O)

Comment

1. Lacquer Thinner. Cleans carbs well and is very cheap @ $12/gallon at
                              Home Depot. Safe with gloves in a cool and ventilated non-
                              enclosed atmosphere

2. JB Weld. Miracle formula that is essential to all bikers for $5 for a
                              small tube of epoxy and tube of catalyst.

3. 10-wt hydraulic tool oil. Best "all-around" lubricant for rusted bolts
                              and locks and anything your bike needs to repel rust. A huge bottle
                              for $6.95 at your local tooling supplier.

4. Hand cleaner: Though a paste and not a liquid, it seems to turns into
                              one when applied. I got this idea from TOMMLC as this hand cleaner
                              cleans painted rims most excellent. Trying to clean a custom-
                              painted rim is so much of a hassle, but using hand cleaner cleans the
                              imbedded dirt and grime right-up without taking off the paint !! This
                              is a miracle how it cleans. Only $3 at any national auto parts store.

5. PJ1 Chain Lube: This is excellent chain lube. It sticks well and lasts
                              long. Must wait a few hours or you wil get it all over your rear rim.
                              $8 for a small can, $12 for a large can.

6. Mackasons XXX Triple Stout beer: Goes down excellent when working
                              up a sweat while wrenching on your bike. The best value at $5.99 at
                              Trader Joe's. Puts Guiness Stout to shame at the half-price.

Worst Liquids

1. Fiberglass Resin: Hate working with this material when designing a
                              seat from scratch using fiberglass. Best to re-use the old seat pan
                              and heat glue weld two poly pieces together into place. Trim and
                              form to your own design and shape.

2. Carb Cleaner with Parts Basket: New formula mandated by the EPA
                              is lousy and ineffective. I buy this just for the metal basket and I
                              use lacquar thinner instead. A metal paint can and brush can be
                              bought at a local hardware store for a few dollars. Not sure where
                              to buy a separate metal basket from. You can probably make one
                              with a thin perforated round sheet metal piece, and use wires from
                              a coat hanger securing both ends and use as a dip basket.

3. Acids: I stay away from them. If I need parts chromed or gold
                              anodized, I take it to an industrial plater who charges a reasonable
                              lot charge so I can bring many parts all at once.

Comment

Working...
                              X