2. Brake cleaner
    3. Anti-seize
    4. Beer

5. Zanex

Chris

Comment

And I think the winner will be

BEER!

That said, cadmium sulphate battery fluid is an excellent chemical. You can't drink it (well, you can... but it's not recommended), but it does counter sulphation in lead-acid batteries. Batteries last for aaaaages on the stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by tfb View Post
        ....cadmium sulphate battery fluid is an excellent chemical. You can't drink it (well, you can... but it's not recommended), but it does counter sulphation in lead-acid batteries. Batteries last for aaaaages on the stuff.
        Where do you get that from? I've seen it talked about in numerous magazines but never seen it in the auto parts place.

Comment

PB Blaster - Best stuff I've found for removing stubborn fasteners

Evapo Rust - If you haven't tried it, do so. I keep a small jar handy with about an inch it; drop a rusty bolt in for a couple of days and the rust is all gone.

Epoxy - any epoxy is going to work well, and have plenty of strength. I try to keep a fast set 5 minute epoxy around, as well as a slow set one.

Liquid Nails Home Projects Adhesive - NOT the cartridge used for paneling, this is a small squeeze tube. Not nearly as strong as epoxy, but it has excellent flexibility. In 25 years of working with adhesives, I've never seen a small household repair adhesive that work as well on such a wide variety of materials.

WD-40 - I know it sucks as a lube compared to a lot of other products, but I like it for its' water displacing properties, and to help clean heavy grime off.
          JP
          1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
          1992 Concours
          2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
          2007 FJR

Comment

Petrol - 'cos without it my bike is just an ornament.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

This year it would have to be Chroma Clear clearcoat from Dupont. I've used it on two projects thus far and that stuff is hard, hard, hard, and VERY glossy. Can't wait to use it on something of MINE!

Comment

Where do you get that from? I've seen it talked about in numerous magazines but never seen it in the auto parts place.
                In the case of cadmium sulphate, the two products I've seen in Australia are known as "INOX battery conditioner" which you can get in SuperCheap Autos:

and Projecta BF1000 Battery Fluid, which I once bought in KMart but haven't seen it since:

They've both got cadmium sulphate in them, but the Projecta product is very dilute (25mg per litre), and you use it to top up your battery instead of distilled water. The INOX is a much stronger 5% solution and you add 15ml to each cell of a car battery, or about 5-10ml to each cell of a motorcycle battery, and that's it: a once-only treatment.

The INOX is said to be able to rescue many (but not all) dead batteries. I've never used it for this, only for prevention. Which is, after all, better than cure.
                Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2009, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post

Since you've no doubt used this stuff, will it really remove pipe bluing ( read cliams on other fourms and on the internet that it would) ?

My exhaust headers look like crap, I'd like to find something to clean them. Not so much the bluing, but they have some rust as well. PO never ever ever cleaned the bike from what i can see.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacman View Post
                    1. Carb cleaner

5. Zanex

Chris

LOL ...i hear you man.

Comment

Simple Green, anti-seize compound, PB Blaster, Gunk carb dip, spray brake cleaner, spray carb cleaner, Loctite (red and blue), Maxima chain wax, kerosene, WD-40....

......and my number one GS chemical........

Hylomar gasket dressing.....use it on engine cover gaskets, and your gasket will never leak nor have to be scraped off of a mating surface when being removed.

sigpic

SUZUKI:
                      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Since you've no doubt used this stuff, will it really remove pipe bluing ( read cliams on other fourms and on the internet that it would) ?

My exhaust headers look like crap, I'd like to find something to clean them. Not so much the bluing, but they have some rust as well. PO never ever ever cleaned the bike from what i can see.
                        AUTOSOL is good gear. It won't entirely remove rust spots that are poking through the chrome (the only cure for that is, after all, re-chroming), but it will remove the bulk of rust stains and definitely improve the appearance by 90% in my opinion.

Like you I've heard that it will remove 'bluing' from exhaust headers, but have never tried this for myself, so can't vouch for it. [Aside: if your header pipes are blue and not just 'straw yellow' then there is the possibility that the carburettion may be a bit on the lean side...]

Comment

......and my number one GS chemical........

Hylomar gasket dressing.....use it on engine cover gaskets, and your gasket will never leak nor have to be scraped off of a mating surface when being removed.
                          Thanks for the tip. I was looking at a small bottle of that the other day, and wondered whether it was any good. Now we know!

Comment

Originally posted by tfb View Post
                            [Aside: if your header pipes are blue and not just 'straw yellow' then there is the possibility that the carburettion may be a bit on the lean side...]

Thanks for the heads-up. All the bluing and rust took place under the previous owners control. I'm just trying to mop up his mess.

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                              Petrol - 'cos without it my bike is just an ornament.
                              Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding....................

Winner, winner, winner.......

If one puts "petrol," "gas," "fuel" in a bike consistantly, changes oil, lubes this and that, and actually rides the machine, not much need for some of those fancy Chemicals.

Comment

Originally posted by errorcauser View Post

Yes, it will remove a lot of nasty blemishes from shiny metals (chrome, aluminium, brass etc). It's no magic bullet but it's pretty darn good. If you use very, very fine steel wool with it (grade 0000) you will get a very good result and not scratch anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X