79 GS 850 another directional issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS 850 another directional issue.

Well another directional issue. I have left sides but no right side blinker. I checked the switch it is fine. I have power all the way down to what i will call the "directional control module" From there it will not trigger to the flasher. I assume that the module is no good. However can i rewire this to eliminate it? And if so how? All grounds good as well proper light bulbs

After doing a search I saw posts refering to a post that squaredancerlynn wrote on how to bypass the control unit. I can't find this posting, does anyone have it?

Thank you all wise and knowing
    Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2009, 10:12 PM.

Hi,

I found this on some guy's website.

Turn Signal Relay Replacement

It seems he replaced the expensive Suzuki OEM turn signal control unit with a cheap $5 flasher from the auto parts store. Maybe it will help you.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

i've had issues with mine just recently. The left side would work but the right side would not. The front right would come on but not flash and the right side rear would not come on. I had power to the rear but the light would not flash.

There are 2 wires coming from the directional. One that goes into the direction supplying power to the bulb and the other black wire is an o-ring grounded to the threaded shaft of the directional. My problem was the 0-ring was not grounding to the shaft. I also cleaned the bullet connector that one of the wires joins with the black wire that comes from the left rear directional. I would like to change this two bullet connector-into-one wire but i have not found a good replacement option yet. Not sure if i'm explaining this well but after looking at it you may understand what i'm trying to explain.

I've replaced all the other bullet connectors with insulated spades however, If you want to remove the o-ring ground wire you cannot b/c the o-ring will not slide over the spade connector b/c of the small size of the o-ring, O'well.
      1979 GS850G
      2004 SV650N track bike
      2005 TT-R125 pit bike
      LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

From what I understand there is a flasher (what is circled in the article) and the control unit, the black box to the right of it. The flasher is working but the control unit is not. We tested power going all the way into it. When you open up the box there are two little knob looking devices, when the left blinked is turned on, you can hear one of the knobs clicking (and everything works).
        When you do this with the RIGHT directional you dont hear any clicking coming from the other knob.
        We traced all of the wires coming all the way from the directional switch all the way into that knob in the control unit and it has power all the way to it, i think that knob is just toast.
        My questions, is there a way to bypass this unit?

Thanks again for your help

Comment

I say just bypass it straight to the flasher relay and see what happens, whats the worst, you pop a fuse or the bike catches fire.

Comment

Working...
          X