Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody on the list have, had, or ridden a GL1100 Wing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody on the list have, had, or ridden a GL1100 Wing??

Hi guys,
    I just rode a GL1100(1981) with 13,000 on it last night. It has a vibration in the footpegs when coasting, not when under a load either ways. It kind of feels like a u-joint going but between the full face and fairing wind buffetting you, I can't hear anything out of the ordinary and it may just be a slight backfire issue. It's not my GS and I immediately missed that 3500RPM buzz in my hands If any body has some input on this would you let me know? It's possible that any older Wing is this way, I just don't know. See how I slipped the GS in there to almost stay on topic Thanks, Bob

*Warning* I am not a Wing expert. That said, the GL1100's I've ridden have been stone smooth at idle, under load, under no load, coasting, etc. Perhaps carbs out of sync?
    Scott

Comment

It has been 13 years sense I rode a wing, so I am a bit fuzzy about the experience, but I have no recollection of any vibration.
      there are many different things that can cause vibrations, from tires to bearings.

Comment

Back in 1980, when the GL1100 first came out, it was the smoothest, most reliable thing on two wheels. Unfortunately, the same disuse, abuse, and underuse that plagues so many of our GS bikes, has ruined many a fine example of GL1100 Wings.

Great bike in its day, and definitely smooth as can be. Any vibration is indeed caused by all kinds of ailments, probably caused by abuse and/or neglect.

I've ridden all Gold Wings over the years. Outstanding motorcycles in their own days. By the way, the newest iteration, the GL1800, is remarkable for its power and handling. Absolute power corrupts absolutely -- that was Honest Abe talking about the Wing...

Nick

Comment

Vibrations

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate the responses. This is the 2nd one I've ever ridden and the first was so long ago that I don't remember it. We'll go through the driveline and loosen/retorque motor mounts to see if that is the problem. I tried to talk him into a GS1100 that just sold here for $900.00 but he wanted the bags and stuff. His loss. Thanks again, Bob

Comment

Working...
          X