Which to use??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which to use??

Long story short, some of the bits and pieces need replacing on the '82 650e before selling. Found a good deal on a few of the bits and pieces from a guy in Ca.

So, one of the items is the brake lever, which I had just figured on replacing the lever alone, that is till I opened the box that arrived today and discovered the master cylinder is not the same. So, the question is, do I move forward with original thinking (just replace the lever) or do I replace the whole master cylinder and lever as one (which will require bleeding the system out). To help make the choice here are the pics (also, to make sure the "new" is of the type that will be sure to handle the dual disks as I'm not sure the model it came off of was a dual disk model).

First the "old" master cylinder:

Now a couple of the new:

Thoughts?

Amos

I would just do the lever if your brakes are good otherwise.
    Levers should be interchangeable.

Comment

it depends on whether the front could use a bleeding and fluid change anyway. The plastic reservoir is my favorite because it is easy to see the level at any angle. The other types are hardier but the little window makes it hard to check the fluid unless you are standing next to it with the bike on the stand and all is level.

For the record the plastic model is from prior to 82 and the other is the newer version.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
        it depends on whether the front could use a bleeding and fluid change anyway. The plastic reservoir is my favorite because it is easy to see the level at any angle. The other types are hardier but the little window makes it hard to check the fluid unless you are standing next to it with the bike on the stand and all is level.

For the record the plastic model is from prior to 82 and the other is the newer version.

It was hard to tell with the bent lever, but once I put the straight one on the brakes feel like they should. (aka, I'm just mounting the lever)

Amos

Comment

Working...
        X