Question for those with brake fluid monitor feature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for those with brake fluid monitor feature

My GS1100 has an electronic brake fluid monitoring feature which means that the monitoring unit is inside the rear master cylinder reservoir...making it difficult to see what's going on in there.

I'm suspecting that my piston may be bad so I removed the cover and pumped on the pedal a few times. When I release the pedal, there seems to be no 'squirt back' whatsoever. I'm wondering if it's not happening or if I just can't see it. I tried depressing the monitor but I still see no turbulence when I release the pedal.

I'd really appreciate it if someone with the same set-up could tell me if the 'squirt back' is very apparent when they do the same thing. If it is, I'll need to rebuild it. I'm thinking I should be able to see it even with the monitor in there. Thanks, guys!!
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Do you have a pic. of this monitoring thing? I've never seen one. I'm guessing aftermarket or something different from U.S. models.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I just went out and pushed down on the brake pedal, Doh! the wheel is not on the bike!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Monitor

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
        Do you have a pic. of this monitoring thing? I've never seen one. I'm guessing aftermarket or something different from U.S. models.
        I think they're only on the GS1100's but they may be on others.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
          I think they're only on the GS1100's but they may be on others.
          Mine is a 1981 1100E, it does not have this feature.
          Is it a little float with a switch?

Comment

Shazaaaam!

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Mine is a 1981 1100E, it does not have this feature.
            Is it a little float with a switch?
            Well, no wonder I haven't heard from anybody!! I think the 1980 GS1100E may be the only bike that had it (I just looked at some schematics).

It's a float that pretty much fills up the reservoir and it has wires exiting from the underside. If the float gets low, it lights up a light on the dash. It's kind of a useless feature unless you suddenly lose brake fluid...but, you'd figure that out pretty quickly anyway.

Comment

My 1980 1000E does not have it either.

Comment

Gs1000

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                My 1980 1000E does not have it either.
                Yeah, last night I noticed that the 1000's didn't have it but I figured all of the 1100's probably did.

Comment

Where the heck is the brake fluid warning light? None of the 1100 E's (including 2 "80" models) I've owned had anything like that. Is it on the bottom of the instruments with the hi beam, neutral, oil, & turn signals or on the pic of the bike with the headlight, taililght, battery, etc. I'm puzzeled!!!
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Had to!

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                    Where the heck is the brake fluid warning light? None of the 1100 E's (including 2 "80" models) I've owned had anything like that. Is it on the bottom of the instruments with the hi beam, neutral, oil, & turn signals or on the pic of the bike with the headlight, taililght, battery, etc. I'm puzzeled!!!
                    If they were '80 GS1100E's, I think they had to have them when they were new. If you're curious, go to Ebay and type in "GS1100 speedometer". A nice specimen for a 1980/1981 model will be the first one to show up at the top of the page. If you look at the large picture (which is pretty good), you'll see an outline of the bike on the lower right corner. There are various bulbs located there that light up if something is amiss...and the light for the brake fluid sensor is located on the outline in the same place where it is on the bike.

Now, if you want to see the sensor, it's located inside the rear brake fluid reservoir. You can pull up a schematic for the '80 model and go to the master cylinder picture. You'll see the 2 wires dangling from the underside.

I imagine a lot of people simply wired around it. I think it was probably discontinued on the 1981 model in favor of the side stand indicator...which the 1980 model doesn't have.

Comment

Don't worry Charlie, I've seen them and you're not crazy.
                      Does your rear brake work? Is the idiot light on?
                      With the Fluid reservoir so far from the M/C it is hard to see any fluid return.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Billy!

How can you be so sure???

Yes, but I have to push down pretty hard in order for it to do much good. The light isn't on because the fluid level is correct.

With the Fluid reservoir so far from the M/C it is hard to see any fluid return.

I never thought of that. The reason I think it's the piston is because I can't think of anything else. The fluid is clean, pads are clean and in great shape, etc. So......what do you think?

Comment

You're not crazy. My '80 1100 E also has the idot light for the rear brake fluid. I think it changed in 81 to a kickstand idiot light, but I could be mistaken on that. For those wondering, the light is in the "Check Panel" on the right lower part of the instrument cluster. I agree that it is mostly useless for the brake fluid. As to your original question, i'm not sure. When I put on new brake lines last year I don't remember it really squirting when I was filling it up. Not much help, but at least you know you are sane.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post

How can you be so sure???

Yes, but I have to push down pretty hard in order for it to do much good. The light isn't on because the fluid level is correct.

I never thought of that. The reason I think it's the piston is because I can't think of anything else. The fluid is clean, pads are clean and in great shape, etc. So......what do you think?
                            Bleed them out and if that doesn't work rebuild the M/C.
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yeah

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                              Bleed them out and if that doesn't work rebuild the M/C.
                              Well, Bill, that's what I'm thinking of, too. Oh..and see my other related post.

Comment

Working...
                              X