whats this thing for??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whats this thing for??

Hey guys, just trying to figure out what this red thing is, it was sitting in the batt box. The bike is an 83 GS1100E, just picked it up for $150 and trying to get her goin

If it goes to the postitive battery terminal it is for a battery tender.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

A larger picture would be helpful for us older guys that squint.

Comment

Yep, looks like a quick disconnect for a charger.
        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by ssb33r View Post
          The bike is an 83 GS1100E, just picked it up for $150...
          I think we need the story on this...and pictures....
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

ok heres the story, guy bought the bike after it was dumped, he put a new stator and cover on it, got it running, rode it around his neighborhood but couldn't get the speedo working for his road test so he bought a different bike, so i got it for $150, there is no battery in it and this just goes to a green wire that goes into the harness. Heres a bigger pic

Comment

Batery

That's the wire that plugs into the center of the battery to monitor your fluid level.
              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

so just pull one of the caps off the battery and stuff that thing in there??

Comment

No, it probably takes a special battery with the hole that is the right size for the probe.

However, you would be much better off getting a sealed AGM (that's a construction type, not a brand name) battery, then just connecting that lead to a switched 12-volt wire, like the tail light wire to turn off the BATTERY light on the panel.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yep

Originally posted by ssb33r View Post
                    so just pull one of the caps off the battery and stuff that thing in there??
                    Yeah...on most of the batteries, there's a special hole for it but it wouldn't make any difference...you can stick it any one of them. You'll notice on your dash, there's a little schematic of the bike. The one on the battery should light up if it's not plugged in or your battery fluid is low.

Important: It's a positive connection so if you don't plug it into your battery, connect it to a positive terminal somewhere. That will keep the dash light from being lit all of the time...which could distract you, causing death, disfigurement or, possibly, paralyzation.

Comment

well then thats what shall be done

Thanks alot guys, im sure there will be more questions as I plug my way thru getting this bike goin

Comment

You'll notice on your dash, there's a little schematic of the bike.
                        Chucky; only on your square headlamp 80/81 1100E. Not on the 82/83 1100E

Comment

Go get 'em

Yeah, I'm sure that little wire is the least of your worries at this stage of the game. As far as batteries, I've never had a sealed battery on any of my bikes but I'm sure they're very good. If you live where the weather is nice (I do) and take care of it, a cheap battery will serve you very well.

I'm working with one from Wal-Mart right now that I've had for almost 5 years with no problems. By the way, you'll love your 1100 if you get it going right. I just came in from a ride on mine and I like that bike more all of the time!

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                            Chucky; only on your square headlamp 80/81 1100E. Not on the 82/83 1100E
                            Well, MY BAD!!! Where does the monitor show up on your bike??

Comment

ya it needs a few things, gotta find some plastics, get the speedo fixed, thats prolly in the drive since the cable doesnt move at all when you roll it around, and a few little cosmetic things im sure she'll be a blast oh and im in the okanagan bc, summer is nice but winter sux

Comment

Working...
                              X