whats this thing for??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
    Those useless sensors monitor the water level in one of six cells. The odds of the cell with the sensor being the one low on fluid is surely not in your favor. My opinion, the second dumbest option Suzuki ever had, dumbest being the "80" model petcocks
    Agreed. Not hooked up on my bike anymore, although I STILL need to connect that to a positive so that stupid red light will go out...

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
      How bout a full body pic of that $150.00 find??
      Well I only took one the other day as I wasnt really thinkin ppl would want pics but heres one. She def needs a little help, bit really she's not in bad shape for $150

Comment

Dude for 150 bucks that this is GORGEOUS!! Ive paid 3 times that for a barn find that needs stripped. If you dont have a seat for her, I have a couple Id be willing to sell i think. Nice find dude! If those pipes are in good shape, they're worth a few hundred bucks on their own if you decide to go to a 4-1 header and sell em..

Comment

I will be lookin for a seat later, but right now I gotta get a few other things sorted out first, somethings goin on with the speedo, prolly something in the speedo drive so i gotta get in there, had her running today, she revs great to about 4000 then breaks up and smells real rich so ill prolly have to go thru the carbs (if i can figure out how to get them out) and the pipes are perfect right upto the mufflers so ill have to see if i can maybe cut them off and replace them somehow, then either see if i can find new plastic or somehow fix the mounting tabs on these 3

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. ssb33r,

That's one of the best $150 bikes I've ever seen. Congrats! Let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by ssb33r View Post
              Hey guys, just trying to figure out what this red thing is, it was sitting in the batt box. The bike is an 83 GS1100E, just picked it up for $150 and trying to get her goin
              Its (and somebody may have answered this already) some sort of battery sensor (there should be a diode attached). When I swapped batteries a while ago the new one had no port for it and when I hooked everything up the battery warning light came on. So I added a short cable to it and took it to the pos terminal, battery light goes away bike runs good.

Hmm thought, could this have any affect on my Stator/RR problems?

Comment

For a buck fifty, she runs and a RED one, its a steal!

Comment

Originally posted by Plasterdog View Post
                  For a buck fifty, she runs and a RED one, its a steal!
                  Ditto....and I thought my $500 deal was good....

BTW...I'm kinda diggin' the black front fender...
                  Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                  '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Its (and somebody may have answered this already) some sort of battery sensor (there should be a diode attached). When I swapped batteries a while ago the new one had no port for it and when I hooked everything up the battery warning light came on. So I added a short cable to it and took it to the pos terminal, battery light goes away bike runs good.

Hmm thought, could this have any affect on my Stator/RR problems?
                    Steve,

I don't think it should have any affect on stator/RR problems but connecting it directly to the battery could add a drain to the battery when not running. A better solution would be to connect the sensor to a switched power source such as the tail light circuit.

Thanks,
                    Joe
                    IBA# 24077
                    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Thanks Joe, I'll try that this afternoon.
                      But there again if its attached to an idiot light and the idiot light is only active when the bike is switched on/running does the tree falling make any noise if you're not there to hear it?
                      Still it won't hurt to take it to a switched source. I do so love removing the seat, the rear master cylinder, the airbox... I've had so much practice lately.

Comment

Thanks Joe, I'll try that this afternoon.
                        But there again if its attached to an idiot light and the idiot light is only active when the bike is switched on/running does the tree falling make any noise if you're not there to hear it?
                        Still it won't hurt to take it to a switched source. I do so love removing the seat, the rear master cylinder, the airbox... I've had so much practice lately.
                        Steve,

I agree that connecting it to the battery SHOULDN'T cause a problem since the circuit is turned off with the ignition. However, there still could be a parasitic current draw. Like you say, it definitely won't hurt to connect it to a switched source and may help.

I don't understand the difficulty getting to the battery, mine is in plain view when I remove the seat with plenty of room around it to work............

Thanks,
                        Joe
                        IBA# 24077
                        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
                          I don't understand the difficulty getting to the battery, mine is in plain view when I remove the seat with plenty of room around it to work............
                          Well aren't you special.

BTW love those tyres, my cornering gets a little faster each time.

Comment

Well aren't you special.

BTW love those tyres, my cornering gets a little faster each time.
                            Yeah, those decade old square tires (note correct spelling ) don't work as well as new, sticky, rounded ones...............

Joe
                            IBA# 24077
                            '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

anyone have a pic of what the speedo drive looks like inside?

Comment

That is hands down an anal probe. Bike and owner were probably abducted at some point. Be very careful!

Comment

Working...
                                X