Stator Photo - ID bad or good for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator Photo - ID bad or good for me?

First thanks to all who assisted me in trouble shooting my electrical problems here
    This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Does the stator look shot?
    Is it mandatory I get a new gasket? See broken in pict...
    Hard orange gunk... normal?
    Washers fell off when taking cover off, both behind gear? both in front? 1 front 1 rear?

Comment

Fill in the broken spot on the gasket with a little RTV.
      One washer goes on the outside of the gear and the other goes on the inside.
      I can't tell by looking at the stator if it is good. It doesn't look burnt though.
      Check out the stator papers off the home page of this site to check the condition of the stator.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yeah i've been threw the stator papers, wasn't able to get an AC voltage from it at all - so took the next step of taking it out to take a look at it, for visual inspection

Comment

Looks pretty good

Except for the pole at 9 oclock looks cooked,
          Did you buss it out? check for shorts?

Comment

Haven't checked for shorts, not sure how i would do that. Your saying the only pole that looks bad is at 9'oclock... i'm assuming that's not enough to kill it completely.

What does buss'ing it out mean?

Comment

use your trusty Ohm meter ; You have a meter right?

To see if it is shorted measure resistance between all three leads in pairs . They should all have similar resistance. Also make sure no leads conduct to the case ground (just a check)

The one at 9 O clock looks like it got hot, see the crusty look it has.

If the stator is shorted , it will significantly reduce the output voltage. I have not been following your thread, so dint know what your original symptoms were. Low stator voltage at no load I assume.

I dint think I would trust that stator in any event (assuming there is not some illusion being created by the camera). That poles really seems to have gotten much hotter than any of the others. In fact it looks like a new stator with one pole that shorted (Defective maybe?)

Comment

It does look burnt on those black poles at 9 o clock.

But, only electrical testing will tell for sure.

BTW, fantastic post! great photos!
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks!
                  Before i pulled the stator out... following the Stator papers

Checking for resistance betweenthe 3 stator output wires i got 0.7 ohm's across the board, which according to stators is good.

Then checking those wires again against the chassis i got 0 reading, which is good according to the stators.

Then I tested the 3 out put wires from the stator with my volt-meter (ohm meter prob the right term haha) set on AC, turned the bike on, reved it etc..., and got basically 0 reading from it. Which according to stators is bad, would mean no voltage is being generated by the Stator

So i opened it up to take a look. And here we are

Would a single burnt pole kill the whole stator?
                  Is there anything I can test other than visually while I have it open?
                  What is this Orange stuff I'm seeing? Normal?

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    I have not been following your thread, so dint know what your original symptoms were. Low stator voltage at no load I assume.
                    You replied 2-3 times on my original thread actually Thanks!

Comment

You replied 2-3 times on my original thread actually Thanks!
                      I know but considering Billy and Bronco were there I figured you were in good hands and did not dwell too much.

Comment

Not got much to add but those washers/gear and shaft can be a pain to align. I ended up having to rotate the crank with a spanner while trying to get the shaft into the hole in the engine case. Take note of the position of the L shaped cable retainer/guide, if it's not in place properly it can impact the magnet housing, you won't find out 'till its all back together.
                        Electrosport sells a good priced Stator, if you haven't done so already you might want to think about changing the RR too.

Comment

Working...
                        X