Great Way to Install Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Way to Install Carbs

In my little mind this was a stroke of brilliance. (Most will probable think WELL DUH) Always found putting the carbs back on my bike to be a nightmare so last week I was sitting there thinking ( After a few cans of Thinking Fluid) what I could do to get these things on w/o busting the bike or a nut.
    HERE IT IS
    You Ready
    1. Place the carbs with the boots all lined up to go in.
    2. Cut a board (2x3 2x4, whatever you got) a few inches longer than the set of carbs.
    3. Place said board on back of carbs (airbox side)
    3. Attach two rachet straps to the front frame of the bike, make sure the rachets are on opposite sides. Put straps over board.
    4. Tighten slowly on one side until the first carb slides in. Then tighten the other side. POP it will be in.

Man I was proud of thinking outside the box on this one!
    WI Smoke

Where does the board go when the airbox is in the way?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Before you put the airbox on you gottsta put on the carbs. Sorry in my excitment maybe i phrased it goofy.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-08-2009, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Some bikes it works that way, other bikes the airbox has to go into the frame before the carbs.
        Great idea though, it just wont work on some of them.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I find an easy way to do it is to use a heat gun to make the rubber extremely flexible. They slide right in!

Comment

Great suggestion, I was wrestling with mine today in my 95 degree garage thinkin there has got to be a better way, I actually used a board similar to what you are saying without the strap. Great idea!!! must have been the fluid..was it Buddy Wiser or Johnny walker?
            Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2009, 12:33 AM.

Comment

I'm poor that is why My damn bike still isn't working, It was Keystone Light!! Poor mans Coors!
              WI Smoke

Comment

I just use my man muscles and power it in. Sure, it takes a bit of huffin and puffin but it feels good when it goes in.

Comment

Originally posted by RogueZuki View Post
                  I just use my man muscles and power it in. Sure, it takes a bit of huffin and puffin but it feels good when it goes in.
                  OH man...that could be taken SOOOOOOOOO many ways and out of context.

Comment

"( After a few cans of Thinking Fluid)"

LOL I love that one. The problem with thinking fluid is that one's not enough and three's too many.

Chris
                    1983 750 Katana
                    1982 750 Katana (parts use)
                    1983 RZ350

Comment

Unless you are trying to squeeze 38mm carbs in to some 34mm spigot flanges.....

Too much, "Thinking Fluid."

Comment

Step One: Remove Visa card from wallet

Step Two: Use Visa card to order replacement carb boots to replace old dried out nasty ancient carb boots.

Seriously -- if re-installing your carbs is that difficult... it's time. It really is. Stop being so damn cheap.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          Step One: Remove Visa card from wallet

Step Two: Use Visa card to order replacement carb boots to replace old dried out nasty ancient carb boots.

Seriously -- if re-installing your carbs is that difficult... it's time. It really is. Stop being so damn cheap.
                          At over $14 bucks a boot I'll pass thanks

Comment

Remove carbs
                            Throw airbox in the woods
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                            X