Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wierd Noises, any ideas?

Hello all,
    I've been a ghost on this site for a couple months now, since I got my bike (1980 GS550E). I cleaned/rebuilt the carbs, new oilpan gasket, and new battery, mostly using this site(Thanks!) Finally took my bike on a stealth run tonight (Don't have insurance/registration), and two noises are driving my batty! The first one seems to be coming from the fork area under the headlight or gas tank maybe? It is a whining sound that will go away about 15 seconds or so after I come to a stop. The second one....this is the one that kept making me think I was going nuts. It is a clicking or knocking sound coming from behind and to the right of the bike(I think). I only hear it while I am above 25 mph and am using the throttle. It happens every 5-10 seconds. I have no clue what either of these sounds could mean. First bike I've ever owned and I love riding it.......but don't love the phantom noises it is making!
    Thanks for reading all of that. Any insight will be greatly appreciated, Thank you!

Check the chain, make sure it's not too loose.

Comment

Duh! I feel like an idiot, lol, so simple. The chain is loose, guess what I'm doing tomorrow OK, so any ideas for the noise in the front?

Comment

Originally posted by AustynJames19 View Post
        Duh! I feel like an idiot, lol, so simple. The chain is loose, guess what I'm doing tomorrow OK, so any ideas for the noise in the front?
        There is supposed to be some slack in the chain, don't make it tight like a guitar string otherwise you wear the chain and bearings quick. About a inch of average up/down play at the point of greatest play (midway between front and rear spockets). Check it at different points in the chain to get the average slack for the entire chain. If it's more than 1" give or take 1/4" then adjust it to be in spec.

Comment

Ok so my chain is tight and the noise has disappeared. Well the one in the back anyway. I think the one in the front is coming from my speedometer? has anyone heard of this before? Is it possible to fix?

Comment

I had a similar noise in the front. Try lubricating the tach/speedo cables.

Comment

Also try putting your hand on the cover over the fuel cap when the noise is there, see if it stops. They usually vibrate unless some rubber or something is used.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
              X