Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strange noise from top of motor

Hi all,

I finally got around to getting the GS started this past week. I noticed a noise that seems to be coming from the valve area. At idle it is a slow rythmic "ka tunk". Yes I know, it's a little generic of a description, but it's the best that I could describe it. I can't wait to read the comments on this one.

Scott

Cam float or cam chain tensioner.

Comment

Is the sound loud and metallic sounding?

Obviously, there WILL be sound in the top end because stuff is moving there. Mine makes a little more noise after my valve adjustment; but it isn't loud or "clanky".

Take of the valve cover and have a look !

Good luck!

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by scottsgs View Post
        Hi all,

I finally got around to getting the GS started this past week. I noticed a noise that seems to be coming from the valve area. At idle it is a slow rythmic "ka tunk". Yes I know, it's a little generic of a description, but it's the best that I could describe it. I can't wait to read the comments on this one.

Scott
        Like....

"ka tunk?"
        "ka tunk?"
        "ka tunk?"
        "ka tunk?"

Oh, on a GS5000 that has to be the bleeder valve screws that control the piston oil stops are loose.

Sometimes to resolve the problem jjust need to buy new ones.

Part number 27603400-00-987.........................

But, on the GS2300, it could be the 2nd gear cam drive in the top end....

Just being a smart azzz... Don't start tripping...Geeeezzzzz.........

Scott, need some more detials brother to get some answers.

Does the sound change at higher RPMs?

What are the RMPs at idle?

Cam chain tensioner would be my guess.

But, how long has it been since it was started last?

The question list can go on, and on, and on...........

Year model, and make helps. No, most will not look it up to see what your last post was to figure out what bike you have.

A 20 second post, will, might get 20 second view. Response is optional.
        Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2009, 09:21 PM.

Comment

The bike is an 81 GS850G. This is the first time since last fall the bike has been run. I changed the oil recently but I didn't run it until a couple of days ago. The sound goes away when you rev it or just run down the road. I did have some buzzing from the cam area at 1500 and above. I just don't want to grenade a motor.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by scottsgs View Post
            The bike is an 81 GS850G.... I just don't want to grenade a motor.

Scott
            Grenade an 850?
            Yeah, right.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

So, last Fall.

Stabilizer in the fuel for winterizing I assume?

That, and has the tank been sealed? POR 15?

If not, clean the carbs would be a first on my list of too do's.

Valves have been adjusted within the last 1000 miles, right?

Comment

Is it loud?
                These are noisy heads
                Don't get Jim in on this thread
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Does the noise go away when you feed it some throttle? The 8valves, especially the 850s for some reason, are famous for "cam walk" after they've racked up a decent amount of miles. Its harmless really, but yes if thats what it is, it can be a bit annoying. There is a thread about how to fix this..do a search. Basicly, the cams over time wear a lil groove into the cam bearing caps. At idle, when the cam chain is just a bit slack, the cams will "walk" a little bit side to side in the head. But, as soon as you feed even the slightest amount of throttle, and the cam chain pull taught, the noise will cease as the cams are pulled back in center. Im not saying for sure this is your problem, some more details on the noise would be nice, but its certainly a good possibility.

And yeah, grenading an 8 valve, especially the 850, you have to intentionally be trying to do, or grossly neglecting the maintanence on it. And even then, it might be several 10s of thousands of miles before she would even cough...Gotta love those big suckers

Comment

Working...
                  X