Does carb gasket need gasket compound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does carb gasket need gasket compound?

I've searched and maybe I missed this, but I'm wondering whether the gaskets on the carb bowls need any sort of gasket compound, like you put on head gaskets and such.

since I've not seen this mentioned in anything I've read, I'm assuming I don't need to put anything on the gasket.

Also, do the numbers in the carb top covers mean anything? I've got a 1980 GS850G. I'm thinking that the carbs were done at some point in the past 30 years. Anyway, in disassembling the parts, I noticed that inside the top cap of the no. 1 carb, the number 2 was stamped inside.

The cap for the no. 2 carb had the number 1 stamped inside.

Was this just a likely mix up from a previous mechanic? And does it matter? Should I make sure put the correct caps with the proper carbs?

- Thanks!

Shoot I hope not! but i dont think it requires any compound.

Comment

No. The only place which the maintenance manual specifies to use
      gasket sealer is over the half moon plugs for the valve cover.

Comment

I generally brush a thin layer of light grease on both sides of all gaskets to facilitate removal later on down the road. I've had the pleasure of scrapping every inch of an original valve cover gasket off a cylinder head a few times & it isn't that much fun...

The carb tops are all interchangeable...
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by DimitriT View Post
          No. The only place which the maintenance manual specifies to use
          gasket sealer is over the half moon plugs for the valve cover.
          Heads up. The front of the cam chain oring between the head and cylinder needs a little sealer love if you don't have a front bolt going up through the cylinder into the head at that point. Maybe 77/78?? Needs to be hi temp.

Comment

Thanks for all the answers! I didn't think i needed gasket compound, but wanted to be sure.

Comment

Working...
            X