sparkplug boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sparkplug boots

I took apart one of the sparkplug boots, to see if it was possible to clean it. I thought I heard something drop on the floor but had no idea what it was. Put it back together but I guess the little spring that fell out ( no idea there was one) is very important. I figured this out about 3 weeks later or today. You don't get a very good spark without the spring. I figured out that my bike was running on 3 cylinders, that is why one exhaust pipe was cool to touch. fixed it with a old tip from a different coil and WOW! It goes really fast? Who knew? I may still do a valve adjustment next weekend? Thanks for all the help fixing all the other stuff. It still needs a few more repairs and then it will be done. Good Lord willing and the river don't rise.

Don't see any spring on my 79 GS750 L

I looked on the Bike bandit site and didn't see anything like what you are describing. Do you have a reference. I want to make sure I am not missing anything since I also have a bike running only on three cylinders

Thanks

Terry

Comment

I think what he is talking about is the metal wire spring lock that the end of the plug snaps into once its up in the boot that keeps the boot securely attached to the plug. Dont try to fix a boot, just replace them. They arent expensive, and NGK makes very nice ones that can be had at just about any motorcycle shop or online parts supplier...

Comment

When you take a stock boot apart there are three parts in the barrel:
        1. spring
        2. metal block(resistor)
        3. super thin tiny copper washer

Don't ask me the order that they go in there as I put them back in the way I thought they fell out. Since it was pretty much a guess I won't repeat it

Comment

Working...
        X