Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting Dual Front Discs on a spoke wheel GS1000

Are the hubs set up to do this?

Are the calipers and master cycinders the same on an E as on a GS1000?

I like the look of spokes and an alloy rim, but like brakes too.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

The wheels are made for a disc on either side, you will need both fork legs to do it right as the caliper mounts are located slightly higher on the single brake fork to allow for the bigger disc.
    Find calipers from a later bike with rectangular pads, they work better.
    You can keep the same master cylinder.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks. Can the fork leg and later calipers come from the same donor, or are the square pad brakes only on bikes with the larger fork?

I'm assuming that a spoker has the same rear set up as an "E"

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      The wheels are made for a disc on either side, you will need both fork legs to do it right as the caliper mounts are located slightly higher on the single brake fork to allow for the bigger disc.
      Find calipers from a later bike with rectangular pads, they work better.
      You can keep the same master cylinder.
      Last edited by 850 Combat; 05-10-2009, 12:07 PM.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
        Thanks. Can the fork leg and later calipers come from the same donor, or are the square pad brakes only on bikes with the larger fork?

I'm assuming that a spoker has the same rear set up as an "E"
        You will want 37mm forks from a GS1000 E, twin brake model, 850 should be the same, the 750s have thinner 35mm tubes, they won't work. You could use any later 37mm fork from an 1100 or whatever, you might get a better riding bike out of it, but do your research first to make sure it will all fit. The discs can be from the early bikes or the later discs with slots, they are the same in all dimensions except they are thinner.

The calipers I used on my 1000 are from an 1100G I think, make sure the mounting bolt holes are spaced the same, my 1981 1100E uses a different spacing from the other GSes.
        I think maybe all the bikes with leading axle forks have the different caliper bolt spacing.

If you want the best brakes possible talk to Salty Monk on this site, he has worked out a mod using Kawasaki twin cylinder calipers and bigger discs from a newer Honda or something. Search Kawasaki Twin Pot Mod.

Here it is:
        EDIT 1/1/2023 - Yes I have a few sets of brackets/spacers/hub spacers left - Price is $104 shipped Priority in the USA. Most other countries tend to be around $125-$130 shipped 1st class package. Newest brackets also allow the new Ninja EX650 Tokico calipers to be fitted as well as SV650 & DL650. Just some pics of the
        Last edited by tkent02; 05-10-2009, 12:40 PM.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I think any calipers before about 82 will fit. The later ones & L model ones have a different bolt spacing I think.

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Make sure whatever calipers you get come off of a center axle fork. The mounting hole spacing is different for the caliper mounts on a center axle vs. leading axle GS. So caliper mounts from an '80 GS750E (leading axle) won't work, but those from an '82 GS750E (center axle) will.

I found this out the hard way, so thought I'd pass it along to save someone else the trouble....
            sigpic

SUZUKI:
            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
            HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
            KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
            YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Working...
            X