Terminology!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terminology!

Hey guys! IŽm an old poster that had to make a new account because I hadnŽt logged on for a long time. So - good to see you again! =)
    To the point:

English is not my native language. I would really like to be able to study some terminology in motorbike mechanics. I was thinking of images of all of the parts in the:
    motor/starter/bike in general with all the things we talk about here on this forum is marked out. Something similar to page 3 of the VM carb rebuild is what Im looking for. If you could help me find something like this for more parts on the bike, I would really apreciate it!

Cheers!

Hi PoPr. I am not sure what it is you are looking for but if you are looking for parts names, try www.alphasports.com
    Go to the "parts diagrams" of the Motorcycle section and they have blow-up pics with names and parts numbers for all Suzuki bikes.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

This looks great! Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
        Hi PoPr. I am not sure what it is you are looking for but if you are looking for parts names, try www.alphasports.com
        Go to the "parts diagrams" of the Motorcycle section and they have blow-up pics with names and parts numbers for all Suzuki bikes.
        They also use Suzuki part numbers which makes it very handy when you need one.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by PoPr View Post
          Hey guys! IŽm an old poster that had to make a new account because I hadnŽt logged on for a long time. ... English is not my native language.
          For not being your native language, you have a remarkable command of it.
          Better, I'm afraid, than many others on the board that have probably never left their home state.

Depending on where you are on this little blue marble, things might be called a bit differently, too.
          Give us a hint where you are and we can help you with some of the different terminology.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            For not being your native language, you have a remarkable command of it...
            Give us a hint where you are and we can help you with some of the different terminology.
            Thanks, you are to kind.
            I live in Sweden, but IŽve lived in Seattle for three years or so... But I never spoke mechanic-lingo back then

Comment

Any particular parts you want to start learning the terminology with?

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Suzuki Parts Listings

As a recent convert from Honda and BMW with the purchase of a 1977 GS750B, I would comment that Suzuki parts manuals are not as useful as Honda's as their parts descriptions are too brief, particularly with fasteners. A Honda parts manual would list something like "Bolt, hex, 8x35" while Suzuki simply says "Bolt". So if you are like me and have lots of spare nuts, bolts, washers, etc picked up cheap in bulk, it is hard to determine if they will be useful on a Suzuki unless you have an old one to compare with. In my usual anal fashion, I am entering the whole GS750 parts list into Excel to be able to sort and identify common parts, and will update parts descriptions as I more accurately identify the various bits. I will naturally make this available to anyone on this list who may find it useful, but I am probably 2 years away from completing that. In the meantime, if you need a complete listing, with separate lists by assembly, of a Honda CB400F 1975-77 just let me know

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Any particular parts you want to start learning the terminology with?

How about starting with the electric system?

Comment

Please dont learn too much "english" from the americans as us real englishmen will never understand a word you are saying

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
                      Please dont learn too much "english" from the americans as us real englishmen will never understand a word you are saying
                      Which is by design! (I think)
                      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

We'll play post a pic. You post a picture and we'll name it.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
                          And you will get fat

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
                            And you will get fat
                            You watch too much TV
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Ok settle down
                              I will post a few general pics later, and then weŽll get into more specifics! THANKS!

Comment

Working...
                              X