Starter click

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter click

I get the dreaded "click" when I press the starter button... I have searched the forum and found a post:
    First thing I would check is to make sure the starter is getting power to it ie. try jumping accross the contacts on the solenoid if that wont run the starter then check the brushes inside the starter
    But I need help to locate the solenoid! Could anyone post a picture on the solenoid, so I know where to start? Cheers!

Just follow the heavy (thick) wire that comes from the starter motor (under that cover underneath the carbs), this wire goes directly to the solenoid.

Comment

Is your battery charged enough?

Comment

Solenoid

Whatever you do, don't buy a solenoid!!! I think for every old motorcycle in the world, there must be 4 solenoids. Yours is working fine!

You know you're getting power to the solenoid so that eliminates a bunch of stuff, right there. As suggested, check to see if you're getting power from the solenoid to the starter. (I'll bet that you are.) The starter is, in all likelihood, the culprit..and an easy fix!!
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by yaddy View Post
          Just follow the heavy (thick) wire that comes from the starter motor (under that cover underneath the carbs), this wire goes directly to the solenoid.
          Cheers, IŽll check that as soon as possible.

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
          Is your battery charged enough?
          Yes, my battery is charged. I can use head lights, turn signals etc...

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
          You know you're getting power to the solenoid so that eliminates a bunch of stuff, right there. As suggested, check to see if you're getting power from the solenoid to the starter. (I'll bet that you are.) The starter is, in all likelihood, the culprit..and an easy fix!!
          How do you know that the solenoid is fine, b/c I DO get a click?
          Whats the fix?!

Comment

Click

The clicking sound indicates that power is getting to the solenoid and that it is engaging. It always makes the same sound when you start your engine but you don't normally hear it since the sound is 'masked' by the sound of the starter turning the engine over.

Did you check to see if you're getting power to the starter? If you are, your brushes are probably either worn out or your armature is dirty...or both. You'll need to disassemble the starter in order to determine what to do next. If you need new brushes, you can buy them from Stocker Starters or probably find them locally. If your armature is dirty, you can shine it up with a piece of emery paper. Starters are pretty simple and not at all hard to work on.

Comment

Did you check to see if you're getting power to the starter?
              Just to clarify before I do something stupid, I should short the solenoid to see if the starter turns, right?

Comment

yes, just jump from one post to the other. if it starts, you might try taking the solenoid apart....i just put a new one on my bike, and took the old one apart just to look inside. i found a little corrosion and oxidation that was enough to keep it form passing the juice...i cleaned it up good and i am now 98% sure it still works....worth a try!
                1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Click

Yeah, that's worth a try but since it clicks, I think crossing the posts is going to do exactly the same thing....and have the same result. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Been down to the garage... I shorted the solenoid, sparks flew but nothing happened with the starter. Nothing clicked or so either... Just sparks.
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2009, 03:58 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Shorting the solenoid contacts will not make it click, only if you use the starter button or jump across the small wire that also goes to the top of the solenoid.

OK, if sparks flew, that means it is trying to pass a LOT of current. If the starter was not working due to dirty brushes or armature, there would be NO current, therefore NO sparks. Sounds like it's time to remove the starter and find out why it's not turning. What bike are you working on? There is no mention of it and it's not in your signature (hint, hint), so we can't get very specific yet. On some bikes, you can remove the starter without removing the carbs, on other bikes, you need to remove the carbs to get enough room to lift the starter out. Remove the cover over the starter (behind the left-side cylinders), remove the large wire coming from the solenoid. Remove the bolts that hold the starter to the engine block, lift the far end and slide it toward the center of the bike. You might have to remove the stator cover to do this, not sure because we don't know which bike you have (hint, hint), Once the starter is out, you can try giving it power (hold it tightly, it has a LOT of torque) to see if it will turn. You will see the bolts that hold the starter together, remove them carefully to disassemble the starter to inspect the inside. Let us know what you find.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ops, I edited the signature before, guess I forgot to save, hehe =)

The bike in question is a GS 750E -79. IŽll try to get the starter out tomorrow, hopefully without removing the carbs!

Comment

Thanks for the signature update.

Now, unfortunately, I can't tell you whether you will need to remove the carbs.
                          I only know that it's required on some bikes, I just don't know for sure which ones.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm sure he meant that the sparks were at the solenoid, not the starter, itself. I'm also confident that it clicked since crossing the solenoid accomplished the same thing internally...but that's neither here nor there.

By the way, on both of my bikes, the manual says to remove the carbs.....but, I can remove the starter in about 5 minutes without removing anything but the starter. Hopefully, his may be the same.

EDIT: Hey..I just thought of something. I asked him twice if he checked to see if he had power going from the solenoid to the starter but he didn't answer. I'd check that out before doing anything else. (Be sure the ignition is on and the starter button is engaged.)
                            Last edited by chuckycheese; 05-12-2009, 10:12 AM.

Comment

I'm sure he meant that the sparks were at the solenoid, not the starter, itself.
                              Thats right, the sparks were at the solenoid.

I'm also confident that it clicked since crossing the solenoid accomplished the same thing internally...
                              The solenoid did not click when I shorted it. Should it have clicked?

EDIT: Hey..I just thought of something. I asked him twice if he checked to see if he had power going from the solenoid to the starter but he didn't answer. I'd check that out before doing anything else. (Be sure the ignition is on and the starter button is engaged.)
                              How do I check if I have power going from the solenoid to the starter? Sorry for not understanding =)
                              Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2009, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X