Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaks gas only while on kickstand

Hey Guys,

Been awhile since I posted, guess that is a good thing, that means all is well, until now.

I took her out for the first time this year after a long winter and when I started it up on the kickstand I noticed a drip, drip, drip of gas coming from what appears to be the number 3 carb area, maybe. It is running down the bracket that holds the carbs together so it may be from somewhere else not sure. If I put it on the center stand the leak stops.

When I put it on the side stand and she is not running, there is no leak, at least not for the last twenty minutes.

Any ideas come to mind right away before I tear into her?

1980 GS750E

Thanks,

Scud

No worries yet

I think that's a really common problem when a bike has been sitting for awhile. I'm guessing on of the needle valves is stuck and allowing the carb to flood. I leave the country a couple of times a year and I've experienced that several times.

Also, some of the carb "O" rings (the ones that connect the carbs) may be dried out. Once you get gas cruising through there, they will swell up and seal.

I'd suggest you warm it up and ride the hell out of it for a half hour, or so. After that, I'll bet it will be just fine. Let us know and we'll go from there. I sure wouldn't start working on it until I'd given it a good 'work out'.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Thanks Chuckycheese, I will do just that!!

I'll let you know if the problem continues after a few rides.

Scud

Comment

Cool!

Originally posted by Scud View Post
        Thanks Chuckycheese, I will do just that!!

I'll let you know if the problem continues after a few rides.

Scud
        Well, that will be fine; I'm sure others will want to know if your problem is solved.

Comment

Next weekend, I ride my bicycle to work during the week, it is one mile away and it is at a university where you need to have a parking pass, even with a motorcyle and school just got out, go figure.......whatever.... anyway, next weekend will be the test.

I did just go out a look, put it on the kick stand and no leak, a good sign. Just wondering if it needs to be running with vacuum in order to present the problem. I'll look into that also.

Thanks again,

Scud

Comment

Great!

Good deal, Scud. I have a good feeling about it. These bikes don't like to sit...and they always behave better when they're allowed to run.... kind of like my springer spaniel.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
              Good deal, Scud. I have a good feeling about it. These bikes don't like to sit...and they always behave better when they're allowed to run.... kind of like my springer spaniel.

Springers are great. Those things effin fly!

Comment

ever heard of fixing the carbs by bending the kick stand??

even NEW float needles will leak if the kick stand is bent and has the bike at an extreme angle while sitting.

straighten it up you'll be very happy.
                SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Well actually it has been in my garage, on the center stand all winter, and the floor is level, ok maybe a slight angle, imperceptible for drainage, but for the most part level. The truth be told I very rarely use the kick stand, I always use the center stand and in fact I cannot remember using the kickstand for, well, as long as I can remember! I just was in a hurry and put on the kick stand, after a couple of minutes I noticed the drip, put on center stand and gone. But, I have not had it out again, I will let you all know this weekend sometime, hopefully, if the weather cooperates.

Scud

Comment

okay, well it still seems to be leaking a little but is noticeably less then last week. I took her on a couple of short trips and each time I put her on the kickstand I noticed a little drop of fuel starting to build, not as much as mentioned last week. Guess I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. One note, I was able to put a drop on my finger and it had an oily look to it. Any ideas why that may be the case? It could be just grime from the mounting bracket but I do not think so, it looks like it came from inside the carbs.

Scud

Comment

Working...
                    X