Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slide sticking symptoms....

Hello!
    This is my first post here, and I would like to thank everyone for the wonderful source of info I have been able to find. I am the proud new owner of a 1982 GS650G it was given to me, garage kept, 18,000 miles, and never been laid over..
    The bike sat in a garage for 2-1/2 years, I recently took out the carbs and found that one of the slides was sticking, thus making the needle stick in the open position. I assumed I had a float problem because of the amount of fuel dumping out.. but the float seems to operate perfectly. Can the sticking of the slide cause the over flow of gas? I would like to verify that this is possible before I put the carb back in and fail to make a difference..
    Thanks
    Tom

No that wouldn't cause an overflow, check the float needle, and the o-ring that goes around it. It doesn't take much to leak. Also check to make sure your petcock is working properly.

Comment

Thanks for the reply,
      Being new at carbs in general, I believe I was mistaking the float needle with the needle on the slide. to check the float needle, I need to remove the float, and the needle should slide right out.. correct? I will give it a shot and put her back together tomorrow.. thanks for the help
      Tom

Comment

Look in the carb cleanup series of the forum for diagrams. There is a screw & tab that holds the needle seat into the carb body. Remove it and pull the seat out. There is an O ring on the seat assembly that you should replace.

Comment

I just went through the same thing on mine. Tried to disassemble and clean the carbs without replacing the o-rings. Leaked all over the place. Put in new o-rings and everything's great now. Those old o-rings get set in their shape and when you re-install them they just aren't flexible enough to seal to their new position.

Comment

I have seen posts in here about carb rebuild kits, can I get a set of o-rings from auto zone, or NAPA? Or do I need to order them special from the dealership?
            Thanks again for the info.. I cant wait to start cruising!
            Tom

Comment

If they are the CV type carbs you can get a set of the o-rings from a guy named Robert Barr http://home.att.net/~robert.barr/#Outside%20of%20the I think they are about 12-13 bucks for the set.

Comment

Originally posted by dgeorge
                If they are the CV type carbs you can get a set of the o-rings from a guy named Robert Barr http://home.att.net/~robert.barr/#Outside%20of%20the I think they are about 12-13 bucks for the set.
                Yep, that's the way to go. All the o-rings you need and no waiting weeks for a special order through a dealer. (Still $12 a set, including shipping, as of a couple of weeks ago). But, like dgeorge said, they are for the CV carbs.
                You ever get the slide to move freely?
                I'd think polishing it with some very fine emeory cloth/paper would help. 1500 grit or better?

Comment

how about O-rings for NON-CV carbs?

Comment

Yep!, Got all of the slides working fine.. the carbs are actually pretty clean, I am having a hell of a time with the weak screws on em though, first turn with a screw driver and the things melt like butter.. :x then I have to resort to using vice-grips to get them out.. everything else has been a breeze.. can I replace that hardware with a matching screw (bolt) from home depot? or are they specially made? I will check out the site you listed for the o-rings.. Thanks!!
                    Tom

Comment

Originally posted by MAGICTOM
                      Yep!, Got all of the slides working fine.. the carbs are actually pretty clean, I am having a hell of a time with the weak screws on em though, first turn with a screw driver and the things melt like butter.. :x then I have to resort to using vice-grips to get them out.. everything else has been a breeze.. can I replace that hardware with a matching screw (bolt) from home depot? or are they specially made? I will check out the site you listed for the o-rings.. Thanks!!
                      Tom
                      I read on here recently about someone replacing the screws, in particular the ones that hold the top cover on, with allen heads. Sounded like a great idea, like you said the heads tend to strip out.
                      I wouldn't think they'd need to be of any special type or grade though. Just whatever Lowe's (or you local hardware store) has.

Comment

Ok, I have been reading all morning here on this site, I have come to the conclusion that I may be jumping the gun on the carb clean-out.. Dummy me, I have not checked the air filter yet to see what kind of shape it is in.. nor have I replaced my plugs. I pulled the plug on cylinder 1, and it was wet and black running VERY rich.. I put a new plug in this one cylinder and it started for about 6 seconds, I pulled it back out, and the new plug had already turned black.. I put some seafoam carb cleaner in the gas, (I hope not too much), but what I want to confirm before I rip apart the carb any more, is, can fouled spark plugs, a dirty air filter, or too much carb cleaner.. cause the carbs to over flow??and spill gas out of the tubes ganging down near the rear tire? Thanks!!
                        Tom

and by the way! awesome idea on the allen type screws.. I am heading to Lowes at lunch
                        c-ya

Comment

Lowes has the allen head screws..they are a perfect match, only problem is, they didnt have enough.. . They are also heavy duty screws, and I was assured by the "Lowes Guy" that they would not break off..anyway, I will probably go ahead and do a complete cleaning and tear down of the carbs while I have them out.. thanks again for all of the great info
                          Tom

Comment

WOOO HOOO!!!! Found the culprit!.. I know it may be simple for you GS Guru's out there, but it is quite an accomplishment for me.. I have never worked on a bike befor last saturday.. and I have sucessfully pulled the carbs out, and found the stuck float needle in carb #2.. I pressed down on the float and the needle popped loose.. Sorry about the excitement, I have just been scared to death that I took of the carbs for no reason.. I will keep you updated
                            Tom

Comment

Tom, glad you found the problem. Since you already have the carbs off go ahead and do a through cleaning and replace the o-rings. It won't take long and it will ensure that you hopefully won't have future problems from them.

Comment

Working...
                              X