No announcement yet.

Slide sticking symptoms....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I finished cleaning the carbs last night, and installed them back on the bike.. I found a stuck float, and 2 clogged jets. I got the bike fully re-assembled about 1:00 this morning, and loved every second of it.. despite all of the *&$^#(@ and $)$@ words I found myself repeating about every 10 minutes.

Here is where I am now..
    Starts right up
    Idles fine
    pipe 4 is not getting hot
    I can rev the engin in neutral, and get good RPM's
    but if I take it on the road and give it some gas, it boggs down
    I put new plugs in last night, and changed the oil as well.

cylinder 1 was not getting hot at first, then I wiggled the plug wire around and it kicked in.. I was not as luck with 4. Although, if I banged on the top of the plug wire, the engine would rev a bit each time I hit it.
    Also, it seemed to have a mind of its own..
    when I got it on the road, it would take off and acellerate when it wanted.. wierd... I would have to hold the clutch in and rev it even higher to get it to stop..

well, I hope these descriptions are clear, I didnt have much time to trouble shoot it last night, you should have heard my wife's language when I got it running (in the carport, next to her bedroom window, at 1:00 AM) she was NOT happy.

I will dink with it some more tonight.
    C-ya
    Tom

Comment

well, no luck..
      Cylinder 4 is still not getting hot, and cylinder 1 is of and on..
      sometimes it hits and sometimes it does not..
      However, I took the bike out for a test run and I could hit 70 mph .. would this be possible on just 2 cylinders???

I am going to try to adjust the points.. (if it has any) or at least take a look at them tonight.. I dont know much about them, but I have a couple of hours left here at work to look through this site.
      (I dont even know where they are located on the bike *L*)
      anyway.. my plugs in 1,2, & 3 look about the same.. just a little light in color.. not white but getting there. the plug in #4 still looks brand new. it is giving off a spark, but it is not a fat arc like the manual describes.. its more like a tiny little blue star.
      not a strong spark but still gave me quite a zap..

If I am learning things correctly here on this site, if #4 is giving a weak spark, the plug should get dark with carbon due to excess fuel not burning off..is that logical?. I checked the float bowl and it was full of gas.

I will try to switch the coil wires around tonight and see if 2 and 3 stay cold.. if it can be done, I see a lot of varying opinions on different coils and I have no idea which description fits the coil on a gs650g.. guess we'll find out.

any ideas?

Tom

Comment

Me again, I just had an Idea..
        If my petkock is restricted in any way, is it possible that the gas flow is sufficient enough to make it to carbs 2 and 3 being that the fuel supply hose runs into the middle of the line-up?
        and 2 & 3 use too much fuel up out of that flow, finally starving 1 and 4?.. just a thought, I may be barking up the wrong tree going after the ignition system..

thoughts will be greatly appreciated

Tom

Comment

Working...
        X