No announcement yet.

Lockeed Breaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could fit the Ninja ones to your racer with CBR rotors... That should be at least as powerful as the lockheeds...

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      You could fit the Ninja ones to your racer with CBR rotors... That should be at least as powerful as the lockheeds...

Dan
      That would be a good option for a street bike, but not so much for The Dreadnought - cut-off date for VRRA Period 3 is 1982, and the brake rules are as follows:
      6l. BRAKES: Must be of a style and type in use during the period. No floating rotors unless produced in
      the period, ie Kosman or Spondon. Maximum rotor diameter is 300 mm except for period rotors or exact
      replicas of a larger diameter. Calipers shall have no more than two hydraulic pistons.
      So the '84 Ninja calipers - while a good 2-piston upgrade from single - would be disallowed as out-of-period. Brand new Lockheeds, made by AP, would be allowed as period-correct exact replicas. Welcome to the insanity of vintage racing. :-)

- Richard
      Last edited by Guest; 05-14-2009, 04:23 PM. Reason: punctuation fix

Comment

Damn... that even rules out an 1150 opposed piston setup! Wonder if any of the Italian bikes had anything that advanced before 82....

You could have fit them with the 550 rotors, drilled & lightened to get round the rotor thing....

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
          Damn... that even rules out an 1150 opposed piston setup! Wonder if any of the Italian bikes had anything that advanced before 82....

You could have fit them with the 550 rotors, drilled & lightened to get round the rotor thing....

Dan
          Most of the Italian bikes were probably either running Brembos or Grimecas.

Comment

Originally posted by rcp View Post
            That would be a good option for a street bike, but not so much for The Dreadnought - cut-off date for VRRA Period 3 is 1982, and the brake rules are as follows:

So the '84 Ninja calipers - while a good 2-piston upgrade from single - would be disallowed as out-of-period. Brand new Lockheeds, made by AP, would be allowed as period-correct exact replicas. Welcome to the insanity of vintage racing. :-)

- Richard
            RCP,
            Have any machining contacts? I am just thinking that if we can get our hands on some period disks maybe we can have a few sets made up for us. off the top of my head performance machine should be able to do, kosman offers fabrication services too, they might even have old jigs still as well the many harley aftermarket brake guys.
            Last edited by first timer; 05-14-2009, 10:20 PM.
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
              RCP,
              Have any machining contacts? I am just thinking that if we can get our hands on some period disks maybe we can have a few sets made up for us. off the top of my head performance machine should be able to do, kosman offers fabrication services too, they might even have old jigs still as well the many harley aftermarket brake guys.
              Heading over tonight to see my neighbor the motorcycle machinist. Does that count as a machining contact? :-) We're going to mill or turn some height off a GS1000G clutch to fit into the GS1000 cases.

I haven't really looked hard for disks, but, yeah, I think they're available.

There's a *bit* of a kerfuffle over eligibility this year, and things might be different next year. As such, I decided not to put money and effort into wheels and brakes this year. I'd pick up "low-hanging fruit", but am spending my time, money and effort on engine.

- Richard

Comment

Sometimes you run across things on Ebay that are misspelled and the auctions go pretty much unnoticed. I picked up my Yosh header that way. I stumbled across it somehow and the title had Yoshimera in it so it screwed his auction up. Might try spellings like Lockhead from time to time.

Comment

Working...
                X