Steering Head Bearings - Stem Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Head Bearings - Stem Problems

Changing out the triple tree on my 84 GS550, which was bent when the bike hit a curb. The fork tube was bent and the lower triple tree twisted. I picked up a used tree from fleabay. I'm using AllBalls tapered bearings. My problem is the new tree (left tree in pic) has a lip on the lower stem while the old tree has a flat surface. The old tree used tapered bearings. Will the new tapered bearing fit on the lip or should it be removed? I presume the lip is for ball bearings.

I dont' want to drive the new bearing on, and find out it won't work.

Not sure if this applies but......

The All Balls site has some tech info PDFs about modifying the stems.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Thanks but it doesn't apply.

Comment

Yes that looks like a ball bearing cup and it will need to be removed before you press the new bearing on.

If you clamp the stem (upside down) in a vice you will be able to get a punch onto the rear of the race and drift it down / off.
        I use a couple of pieces of 2" right angle alloy in my vice as a set of soft jaws so I don't damage the stem.
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Thanks, that confirms what I thought!!!

Comment

Working...
          X