My GS has me Bummed out (Pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My GS has me Bummed out (Pics)

Hello Folks.....Im pretty much bummed out now, My great score of a 1980 gs750 with the weisco 816kit, and some other hop ups, has gone south. I knew when buying the bike it had went down, not hard but I could see the forks were a little tweeked, the fender, and handle bars crooked.

But It drove mint and runs like a raped ape......So I get too really checking it out today as I plan on replacing the forks with a set from Chef ( thanks again for a good deal), I received my tach gear in the mail from Tom ( couldnt have found a better deal if I tried, Thanks Tom), And an R/R from duanage (another sweet deal).

So Im wrenching getting things ready, I decide to take off the valve cover and she just wont clear? Im thinking huh??? Everyone else yanks it right off from the info Ive gotten on here.....Now my gears are turning......

Well Im sure it would be obvious to anyone on here, MY FRAME IS BENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....Im new to the whole GS thing, and Didnt really notice anything wrong till I got wrenching....Its weird both tubes have the same exact slight bend in them, Hence the reason I didnt really notice it.....

Ive riden it about 100 miles like this ( I did know the forks were off, just not the frame)....The bike actual gives a good ride right up to speed.......I would have never noticed If I didnt have to replace the tach gear, and couldnt get the cover off...

Now the gear is replaced but wont allow the cable to go in......Im stuck now.....I have a great bike with all the upgrades, runs sweet....but the frame I would say is about 1/4 of an inch pushed in......Can I have this repaired????

Im not exactly the best welder ( I do own one) just wouldnt trust my welds on anything Im going up to speed on......A lawn tractor is one thing, going 80mph on a bike is another........

Other then this BOMB that was dropped on me today the bike is mint.....Man Im so bummed out right now....Got a family bike run on the 24th......Dont think I will be involved Now ......UGHHHHHHHHHHHH I JUST NEED TO VENT SORRY EVRYONE............Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure.....Go easy on me it still burns

Frames are cheap, should be able to get one easy enough.
    Looks like you can probably ride it around a little bit until you find it.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

That REALLY sucks, man. Never seen that before. Are both sides bent the same amount? I guess you could straighten the downtubes Best thing to do would be to find a new frame. Some others with more knowledge on this will chime in.

Comment

I checked the 'Parts for Sale' section. Here are a couple possibilities:

Thanks,
        Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I think the 79 and 80 used different frames. Different engines for sure. Round end caps and Square end caps.

Comment

I would try to use a porta-power to push the frame back out. If you don't have one see what a local body shop would charge. Not sure it's junk.

Comment

Find a frameshop, they can straighten it for you. Not sure how far you will have to strip it but I'm pretty sure it can be fixed.

Edit: found these guys... http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8...52628058956591
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Go Mifune View Post
                I think the 79 and 80 used different frames. Different engines for sure. Round end caps and Square end caps.
                Yep, you are correct..................I forgot which years were 8 valve and 16 valve engines. Thanks for the correction.

Joe
                IBA# 24077
                '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I have a frame but I have to ask Posplayr if it has a title. May be easier to get one locally with a clean title.
                  Do you still want me to do the forks?
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Ive got an 80 frame sitting. No title but the VIN is clean when I ran it a year ago. It was bought to use the front end since the forks were inline and the ones off my 82 werent. If youre looking for a straight frame you can use your titled neck on, PM me. Im sure I can do a good deal for ya. Infact I have a set of 82 forks that the upper tubes are the same as the 80.
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-10-2009, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. Just got off the horn with Bill, Im going to replace the forks. And have the frame guy up the road do what ever he does LOL....

I also have access to a porta-power as well......I have a good friend who welds custom roll cages in drag cars( who owes me a favor).....After I get the frame where it needs to be, I will have him weld some gussets in there to support any weakness it may have.....

Hopefully this turns out better than I thought, as Im growing fond of this bike with all the upgrades and work it has done....

Its got alot of potential and Im into it for short money........Ps...Bill dont tell all the secrets about the bike Ok....

Oh yeah, just wanted to say this is a great group of folks on here with a wealth of knowledge. And Im happy to be part of this forum......You guys Rock
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-10-2009, 11:48 PM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Originally posted by redsoxvw View Post
                        Ps...Bill dont tell all the secrets about the bike Ok....
                        Someone rear ended a VW Bug with that thing going at least 35mph.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

i would take her to a frame shop. they can pull those bars back out no problems.

Comment

Find an old school body man, they should be able to straighten the tubes without much problem. Most modern body shops probably would not do it but a place that straightens frames (rather than unibodies) should be able to. I bent the frame on my chevy suburban, it was 1/2" out of alignment on one side. One shop wanted to total the truck. I found a body man who had over 50yrs in the business, he said he could straighten it. He had the equipment, the other shop did not. With most cars being unibody these days, they probably don't straighten many frames. It's probably easier to total the vehicle than fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                              Someone rear ended a VW Bug with that thing going at least 35mph.
                              The bug was doing 35, what was the bike doing?
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X