What kind of fuel valve is this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of fuel valve is this

This is on my bike I just purchased. It has RUN straight down and RESERVE to the left side thats all. The brass screw is the shut off. Any idears???I am curious about it since I dont know it. You just unscrew the brass screw to have the fuel flow which seems to be very slow down to the carbs and you go. I want a stock shut off valve but this is an interesting piece, and will be used till a new replacement is purchased. GS 1000 L 1979 but titled as an 80 it's a chain drive.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2009, 10:55 AM. Reason: pic didnt show up

There is no picture, what are we supposed to be looking at

Comment

A bike of some sort, apparently.
      Or a fuel valve.
      Or something.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hi Mr. sachsaca,

Hmmm. I'm no expert, but that doesn't look stock. Are there two hoses attached to it? I ask this only because I'm wondering if it is a vacuum petcock. That's not a very big picture. Do you have another?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

the parts diagram shows a small head petcock and that is a small head vacume petcock on your bike, the brass screw is the prime, you can see the bypass passage coming down from the top to the screw.

thats the one odd thing about suzuki, all during the GS production Suzuki never made up their mind and there are more differant petcocks used than there are GS models.

you only open the screw to prime the carbs after maintanance on the carbs or after sitting for more than a week or so.

Comment

bigger pic

If I don't open that screw it will not have any gas. I am in the process of learning the bike and have not had the tank off yet but I think(not sure) that this is the only line. It has run out of gas when the valve is not opened enough.I will look for second hose today and up date you

Comment

Hi Mr. sachsaca,

Thank you for the larger picture. As Mr. focus frenzy mentioned, that looks like it is a stock petcock. The diagrams show both a fuel line and a vacuum line are necessary. The screw is for "Prime". Is the vacuum line connected? I think it goes to the vacuum port on the #3 carb on the VM style units. On the petcock, it looks like the fuel line goes on the bottom and the vacuum line is on the back to the side. Check your manual.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

No manual and I need one, I've found out this ain't nomodel with glue that I've bult a hundred times as a kid. Would a Clymer manual show me this? It is very hard to get primed, when I shut the fuel off it is murder to get started but when the fuel is there is starts just fine. It seems to take awhile for fuel to make it's way down to the carbs. OK Vacuum line, carb 3 I'll look into that asap. But first I'm on nights for 2 weeks so you know the deal work and sleep. Thank you. Over the years this thing has had small parts left off of it and I'm in the process of replacing things like the air filter box I won last night woo hoo. 20 $ vs 150. for a new one woo hoo. Oh thanks for the info it is titled as an 80 but it's mechanically a 79.
                Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2009, 05:40 PM.

Comment

sachsaca, Where are you in NC? I am outside Charlotte, maybe I can lend a hand.

Comment

Woo Hoo we are a long ways away from each other, I'm in Person county straight up from Raleigh next to the VA border it is a 4.5 hr drive to you for me. I gotta get a book and start going over this thing. The owner I believe was the original purchaser of the bike since there are no letters on the title paper after the vin, I think A means second owner and B means third and so on. He did some stuff to it like left everything off of it everytime he worked on it. The air filter box is missing so I just scored one on e-bay last night. Trying to get it back stock, per the suggestion of many members here. I appreciate it though. I really gotta get a manual on this thing and I think I will be good everyone here is so very helpful it just amazes me. You ask a question and woosh you got an answer. I have never in my life been around something like this so I got a funny feeling I'm gonna be ok here. Maybe I'll ride out one day and meet you, I'd do anything to cruise and do a long ride. Thank you
                    I love technology, that picture is a cell phone pic.

Comment

Working...
                    X