Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone used longer shocks on a GS650GL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone used longer shocks on a GS650GL?

I just finished rebuilding my front forks with progressive springs. Now it's time for the rear. I'm currently scoping out a set of Hagons, but I'm undecided about the shock length.

According to my info about the '82 GS650GL:

Stock rear shock length is 12.5"
    GS650G(T) shock length is 13.5" according to Progressive

I'm thinking about using a longer set of rear shocks for a couple of different reasons.

1st, I'd like to raise the rear a bit in order to get more clearance from the frame to the top of the tire (looks), and also to level out the top line of the frame (the one parallel to the ground). I'm also planning to replace the seat, tank, and rear body piece to something more stylish (single seat, cafe type rear & tank, lower seat profile).

2nd, I'm hoping the raised rear will decrease the trail a bit to give me a little bit quicker turn-in feeling. The GL's stock chassis geometry has a really slow turn-in feel.

I'd like to know if anyone has any experience putting longer shocks on a GS650GL. I need to decide which Hagon length to order (13.4" or 13.8", latter recommended for GT). I'd also like to know somebody's first hand experience with this modification.

Thanks!

I think using a longer shock will achieve everything you want. I wouldn't go for more than an inch longer though.

To get the reduced trail it might be that you can drop the forks in the triple a little to get the same effect.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

You may have difficulty using the centerstand.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
        You may have difficulty using the centerstand.
        Actually, with longer shocks, it will be easier to use the centerstand. The only 'difficulty' would be to make sure that the centerstand gets the bike high enough to raise the rear wheel enough to make the bike stable. I had a bike with longer shocks, and it was possible to put the bike on the centerstand while sitting on the seat. The rear wheel was still touching the ground when on the stand, so I had to make sure the stand was not in a dip. Makes for a nice ride-off stand, too.

Buddha, I have some 13" shocks on the 650L that is sitting on my back porch.
        Can't say how they improved the handling as the handling still sucks due to the sagging fork springs.
        I was considering better suspension, but my son sold the bike (it's his bike, anyway) so we did not bother with any upgrades.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

To be honest, I'm really not all that concerned about the center stand issue. Both of my tires touch pavement on the center stand already anyways. The previous owner said that the moving van that transported the bike had it strapped down tight while on the center stand, probably bending it permanently.

Either way, I'm going to have center stand issues to sort. All in all, I'm not that worried about that part yet.

Comment

I just completed these mods

on my 82 650G. Progressive front springs, but I put on the Emgo Rears. There is alot of talk here that they are too stiff. They are REALLY stiff but i'm 6' 3" and weigh about 270lbs. They are PERFECT for me. But, as to what you were asking they are just over 13 inches in length and I love the look of them. Now the handling of this bike feels like that of a new bike. Best upgrade to date.

Comment

It dawned on me today that I didn't actually ask any specific questions in my post. Well, here they are:

1. I'd like to know if anyone has 1st hand experience with installing longer shocks on a GS650GL. If you've made this modification, let me know how it worked.
              What length shocks did you use?
              Which brand?
              Clearance issues?
              Etc...
              2. I want to know if the change to longer shocks has had any side effects. The things I'm worried about are as follows:
              Do you now have strange handling problems?
              Shaft angle issues?
              Carb float height setting issues?
              Shock travel issues?
              Fuel tank supply issues (sucking air early, poor priming, etc...)?

Comment

I guess I'm the 1st then. I guess I'll give it a run and see what happens.

Comment

shocks longer?

Buddah, I put 1/2" longer honda 750 shocks on my 550 T ,Slid forks up 1" handleing improved greatly Turn in is quicker but still stable at speed. also even w/used shocks It eliminated corner wooble when pushed .look at BOM,photo oct08 to see how mine sits. SAN

Comment

How's the suspension travel in the front during hard stops and cornering? Have you bottomed it out yet?

Comment

longer shocks

No> never. San

Comment

Well, I've got the front dropped 15mm right now. Frame tail sits almost level now, which is almost where I want it (slightly angled up in the rear). I figure raising the rear about 1" will do just fine. Now I need to figure out which length. 13.4" (340mm) or 13.8" (350mm) Hagon Type A sizes?

Comment

Working...
                        X