front forks 1981 gs1100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front forks 1981 gs1100e

i have air assisted front forks on my 1981 gs1100e and i am thinking of putting progressive front springs on. do i need to concern myself with the air assist anymore? also i have heard of guys putting in spacers on their stock springs and finding excellent results any ideas on this? thanks in advance

No... get the preload right on the progressives & ignore the air function.

You can also try cutting some coils of the existing spring & putting in a longer spacer to compensate (i.e. if you cut an inch off the coils put 1" extra spacer back). I did this on a 550 but I had to take out about 3-4" of coils to get it to a reasonable stiffness. With the 1100 it's possible you might get to "coil bound" (ie. not enough spring to get full travel at which point you risk damaging the spacers / fork) before you get the required stiffness.

The only true way to find out is to try it and see... it will only cost you time (Progressives are about $75 shipped, how valuable is your time?)

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      No... get the preload right on the progressives & ignore the air function.

Dan

Ditto on that. I have an '80 1100E. I also used 15w fork oil and it's a bit stiff for around town but takes corners much better. I guess it comes down to your own preference.

Good luck.

Comment

you are right when weighed out like that it is better to use the progressives and a stiffer fork oil. thanks
        matt

Comment

Working...
        X