Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650E igniter question

Just picked up a CL special: 1983 GS650E

It's been worked on some and I have a specific question about the wires from the Signal Generator to the igniter box. I have a 1981 GS650G to compare it to, but things are slightly different. And all my wireing diagrams are for 850, 1000, and 1100s

This bike has three wires from the SG: blue, green, and a green/yellow. The Gr/Y looks like it's just grounded with a connector to a screw in the SG cover. I assume it's a leftover from earlier models with the oil pressure sender in there. So it's nothing.

Blue and Green, I got. They go to the magnets.

On the other end these wires are all cut and disconnected. The only thing they look like they connect to at the harness are not what I'd expect to see for a GS.

going to the igniter box there's one ground wire and a 6 plug connector as follows:

O/W - power to the coils
    W - ground from one coil
    Bk/W - ground to other coil
    Green/White - could this connect to one of the SG wires?
    Bk/Yellow - could this be the other SG wire?
    tan (or brown) - no idea. seems to lead to the SG, but it's not connected

These last three all are cut with no connectors on them.

So, what are those last three wires and if they go to the SG, which is which?

The wiring diagram on BassCliff's website indicates the wires for the SG shouldnot be blue and green. I'm thinking I have a SG from a different model. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2009, 05:17 PM. Reason: added info.

Does this help :-

or this?

Last edited by waltfen; 05-11-2009, 05:54 PM.
    GS1000G

Comment

Thanks. But your diagram shows two wires from the SG; blue and green. And they stay blue and green all the way to the ignitor. My ingnitor does not have two wires that color. There is a mismatch somewhere. The diagram on BassCliff's web site seems more accurate for my '83 GS650E but still doesn't explain the SG

Comment

one thing I didn't mention: it has a mechanical advance.

I'm thinking maybe the mechanical advance and 2 wire SG was put in by a PO. But do the '83 650s normally have electronic advance?

The connector for the ignitor looks right, but the blue and green SG wires just don't match up.

Comment

I have a factory manual for the 650E at home (I'm at work right now) If I remember (I'll send myself an e-mail to remind myself) I'll bring it in tomorrow and scan it for you. It isn't a color diagram, but it should do.

BTW, Your 650 is probably an 82 model built in early 83 as the 650E was only made for the `81 and `82 model years.

Also, the igniter unit, and actually much of the bike, is the same as from an `81 550T model (ask me how I know).

Anyway, all that to say, I'll let you know when I am able what the 650 diagram looks like.

Amos B.

Comment

not an '82

You're right...I was calling it an '83 because that's what was on the CL ad. I know...stupid me. The VIN number decodes to an '82 and the plate indicates it was built in 6/81.

I have an igniter box off on an '81 GS650G and it's not even close. Shape, size, wires; all different. I'll probably just replace the existing box with the '81 and that will match the SG wires...then it will match the wiring diagrams posted here and I can go from there.

Thanks, all.

Comment

more info

OK...Thanks to TheBigRed I got to take a look at the GS650E wiring diagram.

Most of the GSs I've worked on had a two wire signal generator; Blue and green. With electronic advance there are 4.

I have a 1981 GS650G; it has mechanical advance with 2 wires from the SG.

According to the wiring diagram The 1982 GS650EZ should have THREE wires from the SG to the igniter. It looks like a PO replaced the SG with one from another Suzuki, so this particular bike has the igniter with connections for a Br, B/W, and G/W wire from the SG, but the SG installed only has only two wires, a Bl and G.

So, I don't know if the PO ever got it running like that. I'm not really even sure where to connect the wires...or what that third wire is for. Anyone know if this modification will work?

I also have a SG and igniter from another GS650G and tried to replace the SG and igniter but still didn't see sparks.

So, anyone? Can I change the 3 wire SG to a 2 wire SG? How do you make the modification work?

Comment

update

In case anyone is still looking at this thread, here's what i did today. I have a GS650G that runs and a GS650E that doesn't. So I tested a signal generator, an igniter box, coils and a spark plug one at a time on the G and each was in working order. The I connected all of these parts using direct wires, not the host wiring harness, to the E. Still...not a puff. Squirted starting fluid into the cylinder and got nothing. Tomorrow I'll start all over again.

I really wanted an easy project. This isn't it.

Comment

Did you power the igniter?
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

forensics

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    Did you power the igniter?
                    I did. Yesterday.

Today I solved the problem. If you want to know how read on.

Evidently this model comes with a three-wire signal generator to the igniter box. Based on a wiring diagram I got here those wires should be G/W B/Bl and Br. That matches with the wires I had coming out of the wiring harness at the Igniter box. That diagram also indicates the b/Bl wire connects to one side of both magnets.

On most signal generators I'm familiar with there is a red wire between the two magnets. On those 2 wire SGs there is a blue and a green wire on the other side of the magnets and no third wire to the Igniter. On my 1981 GS650G there is a third wire in the harness from the SG, but it's for the oil pressure switch which resides inside the same cover as the SG. The 1982 GS650E puts it's oil pressure switch on top of the transmission like most other GSs.

I think at some point a PO removed the stock SG and replaced it with one from another GS that operates with only two wires. Probably from another GS650G, since it had the oil wire. With what I saw, I doubt he ever got it to run.

So I guessed that the third wire had a purpose. I cut back some insulation on the red wire soldered the extra wire (the oil pressure lead) to the red wire. That gave me one wire (green) to one magnet. A second wire (blue) to the other magnet, and a third wire to to opposite side of both magnets. After that it was just a matter of figuring out which wire connected to which in the igniter.

For what it's worth;
                    Green connects to Brown and fires 2 and 3
                    Blue connects to Green/White and fires 1-4
                    Breen/Yellow (formerly the oil pressure but now soldered to the red wire between the magnets) is common and connects to Black/Blue

And...sparks!

Carbs are off but it ran for a few seconds on starter fluid.

Carbs are getting a bath now and will be back on in a day or so. I'll see if this really works then.

Comment

Good deal Larry!
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                      X