GS1100ES grabrails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100ES grabrails

I just purchased a well-used but nearly complete 83 GS1100ES. It has no grab rail on the right side, nor does it appear to have ever had one.

There is a conventional gloss-black steel-tube grab rail under the left side of the seat. The front end mounts to the shock, and the rear mounts to the lower surface of the subframe with a bolt that installs upward. At the corrosponding location on the right, there is not even a hold drilled in the frame, though there is a flat surface as though something should have been mounted there.

Weird. Any insights? Is the left one even correct?

Thanks!
    Dirk

GS1100ES grab rail

I just put together one of these myself.
    The grab rail on the left is to assist putting it on the centerstand, there isn't one on the right side.

Bill

Comment

The grab rail on the left is to assist putting it on the centerstand, there isn't one on the right side.

Never knew that

Comment

there is no grab rail on the ES, except for the one on the left to lift the bike on the centerstand (whats a centerstand? hehehe) That bike is what was considered a "sport" model, therefore, all the BS frills went bye bye. You're lucky it even as that queer little "oh sh!t" strap on the seat...

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Makes perfect sense -- if my bike still had a center stand, it might have occurred to me.

Looks like I'm wearing a pack for the commute...

Comment

Working...
          X