Turn Signals Part II (Not LED)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn Signals Part II (Not LED)

Replaced my OEM signals with Bikemaster short stalks. OEM front signals are dual-filament, aftermarket are single-filament.

Three wires come from harness, one goes to washer-type thing which I assume is the ground. With new signals wired, lights go blinky blinky when switched on. If I turn the headlight on and switch on signals the lights go blinky once, and stay on. I've tried every wiring scenario that I can fathom and they still do the same thing, with the exception of one way I tried where nothing goes blinky.

Question 1: If I can find a dual-filament bulb in this crazy size will my signals go blinky blinky with the headlight on?

Question 2: If I can't find a dual-filament bulb in this crazy size what the hell am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
    ~~>Jakob
    1981 GS 750EX

K&S carries about most OEM replacements. I went to the local Honda shop and had them order through Parts Unlimited. There were both single and double filament styles, as well as clear lenses with amber bulbs, in short or long stalks for the 700E. Just looked up the part number off the K&S website, and took them the part number and said, this is what I want. Around $32 USD a piece I think.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-12-2009, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks tejasmud, but I already have the Bikemaster replacements. I just can't get them to flash with the headlight on.

I forgot to add to my first post that I have exhausted the Search feature and have tried everything I found there with no luck.

Also, OEM signals were working fine.

~~>Jakob
      Last edited by Guest; 05-12-2009, 09:02 PM.

Comment

What is the wattage of the new bulbs ? These bike are fussy about about that. Figure out which wire is which use your meter 1 is hot all the time 1 is hot when you use the blinker this is the 1 you want to use and the other is ground which you also want to use. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by lucabond
          What is the wattage of the new bulbs ?
          23W. I'll give what you said a go in the morning. Wife is sick and tired so she's sick and tired of me running back and forth through the house and out to the garage to try things

~~>Jakob

Comment

you might want to clean the plug and flasher contacts, it made my blinkers work better.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakob View Post
              Replaced my OEM signals with Bikemaster short stalks. OEM front signals are dual-filament, aftermarket are single-filament.

Three wires come from harness, one goes to washer-type thing which I assume is the ground. With new signals wired, lights go blinky blinky when switched on. If I turn the headlight on and switch on signals the lights go blinky once, and stay on. I've tried every wiring scenario that I can fathom and they still do the same thing, with the exception of one way I tried where nothing goes blinky.

Question 1: If I can find a dual-filament bulb in this crazy size will my signals go blinky blinky with the headlight on?

Question 2: If I can't find a dual-filament bulb in this crazy size what the hell am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
              ~~>Jakob
              1981 GS 750EX
              Is this with the engine running or off while testing ?

If it's with the engine off, (and thus no charging from the alternator) the headlight may pull the system voltage low enough that the flasher doesn't work right.

If thats the case, try with the engine running.

If it works engine running but not engine off, nothing is wrong, its just the way the bike is.

Comment

Originally posted by bakalorz View Post
                Is this with the engine running or off while testing ?

If it's with the engine off, (and thus no charging from the alternator) the headlight may pull the system voltage low enough that the flasher doesn't work right.

If thats the case, try with the engine running.

If it works engine running but not engine off, nothing is wrong, its just the way the bike is.

If as this post says and its doing it while running then I would suspect bad grounds and poor connections both in the headlight circut and flasher circut. These bikes only put out so much juice then you throw in old wire and poor connections and the juice gets eaten up making it hard for everything to work. I did a coil mod but to run my head light, it took less power drain off the old harness and gave me full power at the headlight making it much brighter and my flashers work better. Good luck

Comment

Working...
                X