Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery help

Hey there guys.....
    What kind of battery do you have in your bike? I had the bike out today (first time in a long time). Started right up. Went for a ride with the wife for about 20-25 minutes. Stopped at a friends house and let the bike idle while we chatted for approx 10 minutes. While talkin, I could hear the bike "loading" up. I cleared her out (rev the throttle) and got ready to leave. Put her in gear let out the clutch and.............stall. I hit the starter button and .............NOTHIN. no click no grunt no groan no nothin. I checked all my connections (cleaned and rewired alot of them a short time ago) they are all good. SO....pulled the plugs on the battery and it was BONE DRY!.....I thru some bottled water in it to get it home and now need to replace it. So, back to the original question......what kind of battery should I get? Thanks......

I purchased 2 this winter from these guys...
    Batteries and chargers for everything from motorcycles to cell phones. Low prices, big inventory, expert advice. Find your battery here!

I bought the Scorpion YTX14AHL-BS 12 Volt AGM Maintenance Free.

They was $61 apiece and included shipping... pretty fast shipping too...

Comment

Originally posted by 550ERAT View Post
      Hey there guys.....
      What kind of battery do you have in your bike? I had the bike out today (first time in a long time). Started right up. Went for a ride with the wife for about 20-25 minutes. Stopped at a friends house and let the bike idle while we chatted for approx 10 minutes. While talkin, I could hear the bike "loading" up. I cleared her out (rev the throttle) and got ready to leave. Put her in gear let out the clutch and.............stall. I hit the starter button and .............NOTHIN. no click no grunt no groan no nothin. I checked all my connections (cleaned and rewired alot of them a short time ago) they are all good. SO....pulled the plugs on the battery and it was BONE DRY!.....I thru some bottled water in it to get it home and now need to replace it. So, back to the original question......what kind of battery should I get? Thanks......
      Bone dry is most likely caused by overcharging, check the charging system troubleshooting guide in the stator papers...
      Or maybe you bike was just ****ed off at you for letting it overheat at idle for ten minutes.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Probably a little of both. 10 minutes might be a little of a stretch, but still.....u r right

Comment

AGM. Absorbed glass mat. It's a type of battery, not a brand name. They are sealed so no more acid water to add. Ensure the posts are on the correct side when you buy it....don't ask me how I know....

As mentioned, check out your charging system with the stator papers to make sure there is not a problem there.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Batterystuff.com is out of the one i need for my model, which is YT10L-A2
            I spoke to the guys there, and it won't be in stock until August, Scorpion says the same.

Any reason i shouldn't use

YTX14AHL-BS in my 81 gs550?

I see it's not listed under "supported" but i've got Dyna ign. and Dyna Coils... so...

Comment

Working...
            X