Can a 83 GS550ES pull a wheelie??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
    The only seals I've replaced were shot when I bought the bike, I don't go around wheelying all the time but if the front comes up I usually go with it...

Just lucky I guess.
    It all depends what you call a wheelie. If the front wheel lifts a couple of feet and you end it shortly there after, then no, you're not going to hit hard nor damage the seals.

If you go full up and ride it out a bit, then it's hard to bring the front down real soft.

I'll just go with the fact there's much better riders here than me. Please submit all pointers to me via PM.

Comment

Let's call three feet a wheelie.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
        It all depends what you call a wheelie. If the front wheel lifts a couple of feet and you end it shortly there after, then no, you're not going to hit hard nor damage the seals.

If you go full up and ride it out a bit, then it's hard to bring the front down real soft.

I'll just go with the fact there's much better riders here than me. Please submit all pointers to me via PM.

its called throttle control and the practised use of the rear brake. the rear brake is used to maintain the balance point, as is good throttle control, but the rear brake is used to bring the bike down in a controlled and smooth action
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

watch this vid, will give you some idea. plenty more on there too for your pleasure!
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Changing your sprockets will actually make it a lot easier to pop wheelies.

Comment

83 550ES wheelie

I Take it reem98 You feel your bike is down on power.In 1985 I bought a pearl white & blue 550E off the showroom floor. Got it fri, Mon, I was calling for my 600Mile service.The power band on these bikes is very high max tourqe 31.66 FT.lbs at 9,000rpm -56.41hp @10,000rpm. AT rear wheel, according to my issue of CYCLE July 83.The stance of you and the bike W18" rear& 16" front wheel is design to let rider go deep to hit the apex in the sweet spot.Not Wheelies. The hesitation is also mentiond in article, I believe its due to the 2barrel carbs, jetted or not. do some plug chopps. i also had a charging prob on my 85 the fist year.clean your contacts .Fun bike to ride fast. SAN

Comment

I can't get my front wheel off the ground either on my 550EF......I have a 13t front and 46t rear right now and a 48t rear to put on it......I should be able to get it up with the 48t......but with the current setup I have a good rpm band range that I like....going to the 48 rear is going to change my top speed and I'm not willing to mess with that yet. This bike was made for cornering and rolling through the throttle through the entire apex......ride like it was built to!

Comment

Working...
                X