No announcement yet.

Thoughts - 1983 GS550E Stalls When Stopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woohoo! I located the stator/charging problem. When the previous owner replaced the stator he did a pretty good job, except he left too little slack in the wire, it was a challenge to pull off the case, and he pinched one of the wires in the engine casing grounding the stator nicely. I noticed the pinched wire when I started taking the screws out of the casing, I could see a bit of yellow wire insulation in between the casings. Some cleaning and high quality electrical tape and we are back in business. The system is charging now and the lights are bright.

Now on to those valves...

Comment

Congrats on the fix, however I would suggest insulating with shrink tubing rather than tape, as the tape WILL come off leaving you back where you started. Maybe even two layers of shrink if it looks like it is in a place that is rubbing and would eventually wear through the insulation.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Congrats on the fix, however I would suggest insulating with shrink tubing rather than tape, as the tape WILL come off leaving you back where you started. Maybe even two layers of shrink if it looks like it is in a place that is rubbing and would eventually wear through the insulation.
        Yes, this is a temporary repair until I can get into the starter area properly and get some slack in the wires. If I cannot get shrink tubing on it, I'll put another layer of tape on and some small zip ties to ensure the ends don't go anywhere. Next oil change likely.

Comment

Another thing, don't worry about the low compression until you have it all working correctly and ride it a few thousand miles. They have a habit of getting better with use.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Another thing, don't worry about the low compression until you have it all working correctly and ride it a few thousand miles. They have a habit of getting better with use.
            I have my doubts about that with this bike and our latest experience. After some of my repair successes last week, a ride this weekend revealed the host of other ongoing issues we have to deal with.

I adjusted the air screws, but only the ones on the right side carb made any difference. I could not find any reference to the default settings on these MSW30ss carbs, only "PRE-SET", but my experience showed that 2.5 turns out worked best (1000 m up high here in Calgary). I set the left side carb to match. The bike did idle nicely in the garage when it was hot.
            After a ride, it was a different experience. The idle fluctuated all over the place during the ride and is likely an intake leak somewhere. The o-rings are in good shape, so it is either the boots or the clamps. The clamps are maxed out right now and do not appear to be putting enough tension on to seal properly, perhaps I can replace them with some generic hose clamps.
            The other issue that is showing itself more and more is blue smoke from the left exhaust and from our compression tests that is likely #2 cylinder.

The aim of getting this bike was to provide the girlfriend with a comfortable learning bike while she gets her confidence up enough to ride the V-Strom. Right now to make the bike behave on city streets (it is fine opened up on the highway) we are looking at a carb rebuild, valve adjustment, new intakes, and new rings. Oh well, lesson learned - Don't buy a bike that doesn't idle nicely.

I'll do the valves, likely the carb rebuild, and play around with the intakes a bit more, but I doubt I'll put money and time into new intakes and rings.

Thanks again for the input!

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
              I have my doubts about that with this bike and our latest experience. After some of my repair successes last week, a ride this weekend revealed the host of other ongoing issues we have to deal with.

I adjusted the air screws, but only the ones on the right side carb made any difference. I could not find any reference to the default settings on these MSW30ss carbs, only "PRE-SET", but my experience showed that 2.5 turns out worked best (1000 m up high here in Calgary). I set the left side carb to match. The bike did idle nicely in the garage when it was hot.
              After a ride, it was a different experience. The idle fluctuated all over the place during the ride and is likely an intake leak somewhere. The o-rings are in good shape, so it is either the boots or the clamps. The clamps are maxed out right now and do not appear to be putting enough tension on to seal properly, perhaps I can replace them with some generic hose clamps.
              The other issue that is showing itself more and more is blue smoke from the left exhaust and from our compression tests that is likely #2 cylinder.

The aim of getting this bike was to provide the girlfriend with a comfortable learning bike while she gets her confidence up enough to ride the V-Strom. Right now to make the bike behave on city streets (it is fine opened up on the highway) we are looking at a carb rebuild, valve adjustment, new intakes, and new rings. Oh well, lesson learned - Don't buy a bike that doesn't idle nicely.

I'll do the valves, likely the carb rebuild, and play around with the intakes a bit more, but I doubt I'll put money and time into new intakes and rings.

Thanks again for the input!
              Sounds like you're committed to this restoration. To that end, be advised, those o-rings (between the carb boots and the engine) may look fine and still be in need of replacement. I won't tell you what the final solution was to get my bike back on the road, in spite of the fact that I was virtually CERTAIN that the existing parts were fine, but I'll bet you can guess.

Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by MelodicMetalGod View Post
                Sounds like you're committed to this restoration. To that end, be advised, those o-rings (between the carb boots and the engine) may look fine and still be in need of replacement. I won't tell you what the final solution was to get my bike back on the road, in spite of the fact that I was virtually CERTAIN that the existing parts were fine, but I'll bet you can guess.

Best of luck!
                I guess I should have qualified the 'rings' more. I meant cylinder rings. I already have a set of 'CycleOrings.com' on the way for the carbs and the intakes, that is easy and affordable enough to replace. I don't think I'll replace the intake boots unless I find something obviously wrong and I don't think I'll invest the money and time on a set of cylinder rings. Of course that may change if I find a good price on those parts and the bike is still in our garage over the Winter.

Comment

On a whim the other night I decided to replace the stressed and maxed out metal clamps on the intakes with zip ties. If nothing else, I thought, it should help me troubleshoot. I was easily able to put more tension on the zip tie compared to the old stretched out clamp. The bike still stalls when stopped hard, but the idle did seem more stable. In the past it would require continual adjustment of the idle knob while riding and the idle would vary from stall to 3000 rpm. More testing is required but we are getting there step by step. Still more to do though.

Comment

This beahavour happened to my bike all the time.
                    its a combination of the charging system and an intake leak.

fix the intake leak with intake o rings
                    i would shell out for oem clamps for the boots as I never had luck with anything else.

also adjust the valves to spec.
                    oddly the imbalane in the compression numbers does change with mileage
                    walk soem techron into the tank and run it hard and nasty.

not sure what impact the depleting battery has on the coils but it always seemed to me when my reg rect was dying that you could hold the throttle open but the engine would die at low rpm.

I read the stator papers but they do not fully corespond to the charging system on this model of bike.

oh and golly get the manual there is a free one floating about
                    and golly post a picture of this bike

Comment

Things that make you go hmmmm...

I started preparing the 1983 GS550E for a valve check last night. I pulled out the plugs and this time looked closer at them. The first shock was that they were the wrong part number - DPR8EA-9 instead of the D9EA. Obviously they worked OK and hopefully they did not cause any permanent issues. The major physical difference is that the wrong plugs are about 1-2 mm longer and the gap is by default the maximum allowed.

I do have a new set ready to go, but the local shop only had the D8EA (hot) plugs in stock which I hope will work fine. I'll keep an eye on them especially since plugs 1 & 2 had more carbon on them than 3 & 4. That is likely related to my pilot screw adjustments on carb #1 which may just be causing the majority of the issues I am having with this bike. I likely set the pilot screw too rich this time. A few weeks ago when a friend helped me attempt to balance the carbs and check the compression, all four plugs looked normal and the pilot screws were set to 1.5 turns. The right carb is happiest at 2.5 turns right now.

It is becoming clear that this bike suffered a potentially severe lack of attention to details. On the plus side, I now have a handful of extra plugs for my KLR650.

Valve check tonight perhaps and a carb rebuild when the cycleorings package arrives.

Comment

ive been having a problem with cyl 1 and 2 rich like that. I think it is due to the sync being out, i have reset mine multiple times and yet to get it right

Comment

Carb Rebuild - The Last Frontier

Last night I had the pleasure of adjusting the valves on the GS550E. Most people would not think that adjusting valves is a pleasure, but compared to what it took to check the valves on my KLR let alone adjust them, it was a pleasure for me. Removing the valve cover was straight forward and adjusting the valves was as simple as unlock, adjust, and lock. I am sure that cost plays a big factor in shim type valves, but this lock nut design seems to work very well in my brief experience and I wish my other bikes had it. I also followed the Clymer manual which recommended re-torqueing the cylinder head nuts before checking/setting the valves. I tried to re-torque the cylinder head bolt inbetween the exhaust pipes, but it sheared right off. I'll have to address that eventually but for the short term I hope that will not cause any major problems.

Cylinder #2 which had lazy compression problems did need all the valves adjusted as I could not get the 0.08 mm feeler gauge into it. I didn't try anything smaller than that. The clearance specification is 0.08 to 0.13 mm so I decided to adjust to a relaxed 0.10 mm setting. My current feeler set is limited to .06, .08, .10, and .15 at the small end - I'll have to get a better set eventually. I would prefer to have too much clearance rather than not enough. Excessive valve chatter seems to be the main negative of too much clearance. The list of negatives for too little clearance is much longer and much more damaging. I adjusted all the valves of #1 & #2. Cylinder #4 was fine and if memory serves the intakes of #3 were also fine.

Everything went back together fine, new plugs with the proper part number were installed as well. Best of all it started right up! I played with the carbs a bit, twin #1 is still not behaving as it should. An interesting note from the Suzuki Service Manual - poor idling can be atributed to too large of a spark gap and the incorrect plugs the previous owner had installed were at the maximum gap by default. Despite all that I have done, the issue in the subject of the thread still remains, anything more than easy braking to a stop and the engine dies.

On the plus side, the engine is smoother now, starting is easier, and the idle stays constant. On to the carb rebuild!

Thanks for listening.

Comment

I can't believe that I missed this thread!

My bike was falling flat on its face when coming to a stop as well.......it was improper A/F mixture and idle setting and I noticed that the throttle return was having a problem depending on how I adjusted the tension at the cable hold down that bolts to the top of the carb!

I have also found out now that my intake O-rings need to be replaced and is the reason I'm having some of the similar issues.

On a note for carb tuning.....I paid $60 to have my carbs cleaned, inspected, and tuned at a local shop. These guys had my carbs apart on the bench within 15 minutes, torn down to pieces in another 10 minutes, put back together and installed in 10-15 minutes more, then started tuning and adjusting them by ear before throwing my colortune on it and fine tuning..........1 hour and its never run better!

I too think you paid WAY too much for your 550E......I paid $400 for mine running good and I've put another $1000 into it with the custom work.....its got a few more things to go and its ready for paint!

Good luck with your 550E.....let me know if you have any questions. I've pretty much had mine apart into pieces in a weekend then back together by Sunday night 5 or 6 times now!

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado85gs550 View Post
                              I can't believe that I missed this thread!

My bike was falling flat on its face when coming to a stop as well.......it was improper A/F mixture and idle setting and I noticed that the throttle return was having a problem depending on how I adjusted the tension at the cable hold down that bolts to the top of the carb!

I have also found out now that my intake O-rings need to be replaced and is the reason I'm having some of the similar issues.

On a note for carb tuning.....I paid $60 to have my carbs cleaned, inspected, and tuned at a local shop. These guys had my carbs apart on the bench within 15 minutes, torn down to pieces in another 10 minutes, put back together and installed in 10-15 minutes more, then started tuning and adjusting them by ear before throwing my colortune on it and fine tuning..........1 hour and its never run better!

I too think you paid WAY too much for your 550E......I paid $400 for mine running good and I've put another $1000 into it with the custom work.....its got a few more things to go and its ready for paint!

Good luck with your 550E.....let me know if you have any questions. I've pretty much had mine apart into pieces in a weekend then back together by Sunday night 5 or 6 times now!
                              It's not like there is an abundance of other topics to browse on a daily basis, so yeah, why did you miss it.

I have a set of intake and carb rings on their way to me. I'll see what I can do first, but yes, I would be happy to pay a shop for an hour or two if they are confident they can cure the issue. First things first though, there are a lot of little issues I can deal with before I get to that stage. Part of the facination for me in all of this is the experience it is giving me. The engines in the KLR and the V-Strom are running great, I don't want to touch them unless necessary. This is my first experience rebuilding carburetors and it has been a great way to learn. I am becoming more and more certain that there is a significant issue with carb #1 and the pilot jets, there was a bit of dust/sand in the float tanks so it would not be surprising to find some small passages blocked.

Yes, we likely did pay a bit too much (it would have translated to about $1000 US) but we were a bit anxious to get a bike and the Spring/small starter bike market in Calgary dictated what was available. This bike was the best of the handful we looked at by far. So far I have only put about $150 worth of parts into the bike and I don't plan on much more than that. The learning experience has been valuable to me as well as fun. If I can cure this idle issue, which I am confident I can, we should be able to sell it next Spring for $1500 or more, if we want to that is.

As requested elsewhere and a bit overdue, here is a photo of "The Monarch"

I think it would look pretty cool if we painted a very large blown up image of a Monarch butterfly wing on the gas tank, like an orange and black leopard pattern.

Comment

Just for giggles, put the petcock on PRIME and go for a run. See if it makes ANY difference to anything. (Don't forget to set it back to RUN after!)

I had year-long driveability issues (including stalling upon stop) that I was going nuts trying to track down. That simple change cured all. (BTW, new petcock is on order...)

Comment

Working...
                                X