Emergency mini compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emergency mini compressor

On the recommendation of the forum I picked up a mini air compressor at the local outdoor store. It runs on 12V DC and has pictures of bicycles and ATVs on the box so it should do the job.

I also bought a cigarette lighter extension cord which I'm going to hack up and wire to the battery so I have an outlet on the bike.

I don't know how many Watts/Amps this thing draws (doesn't say anywhere on the box or manual).... should I only use it with the bike turned OFF? Will it kill the battery super fast?

Skye

Those little compressors draw quite a bit of current and might take about 5 minutes or more to inflate your tire. They are a very worthwhile farkle. I have inflated a completely flat tire with a fully charged GS550L battery, engine off, with no problem. However, you don't want to trade one problem for another so if your battery, alternator, or related electrical system is not top shelf you might want to leave the engine running, lights out (pull that fuse if you must). Just remember, that's an air cooled mill so don't run it too long.

Comment

Ive always preferred the Co2 inflators myself. I guess Ive been jaded on the emergency compressor of old.

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor View Post
        Those little compressors draw quite a bit of current and might take about 5 minutes or more to inflate your tire. They are a very worthwhile farkle. I have inflated a completely flat tire with a fully charged GS550L battery, engine off, with no problem. However, you don't want to trade one problem for another so if your battery, alternator, or related electrical system is not top shelf you might want to leave the engine running, lights out (pull that fuse if you must). Just remember, that's an air cooled mill so don't run it too long.
        Where is this mystery fuse anyway... never found it or seen mention in the shop manual.

Well I guess I'll park it near a downhill slope so I can bump start if needed. Hopefully no flats at all!!

Comment

Check your fuse block. The fuses usually have a description of the components they protect on the cover of the block.

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor View Post
            Check your fuse block. The fuses usually have a description of the components they protect on the cover of the block.
            If I knew where the fuse block was, I would probably know where the fuses were

Under one of the side panels maybe? Not the right, since it just fell off again haha

Comment

Working...
            X