Why did these come out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why did these come out

I was almost home from work, turning into my neigherborhood, I had no clutch. Thinking I broke the cable I went on to the house. Only had one stop sign to run. Well, I found that the clutch covers screws were coming out. In fact two are missing, one I just pulled out and the others are loose.

I did change the stater a couple of months ago and put it back together with an impact screw driver. Everythng else is still tight so why did these come loose and what can I do to keep this from happening again. I had planned to check all nuts and bolts at the next oil change but I guess I need to do it more often that that.

Any suggestions?

use a light duty locktight (blue I think) this will keep them from vibrating out.

Comment

I will try that after I find some replacement screws....do I need to look for a certain grade, or just the stongest I can find?

Comment

Replace them with allen head bolts. You won't need an impact driver then and they look much better. I think it's grade 8.8 metric if memory serves me correctly.

Comment

Allen Head

Allen head bolts are really nice but should come with a word of caution. As our resident engineer knows, the gain in leverage makes it much easier to overtighten them and break them off. That's when the real fun begins. :roll:
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Re: Allen Head

Originally posted by chuckycheese
            Allen head bolts are really nice but should come with a word of caution. As our resident engineer knows, the gain in leverage makes it much easier to overtighten them and break them off. That's when the real fun begins. :roll:
            Very true......and that's why Loctite Blue (medium strength, for hand tools) is so great: the temptation to give the bolt that last tightening heave is gone. Just put the Loctite on the threads, snug up the bolt tight (or to manual torque spec, if specified), and worries are gone.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle
              I will try that after I find some replacement screws....do I need to look for a certain grade, or just the stongest I can find?
              PAIN IN THE ASS!

i've done this before...my old 550 had only three screws holding the clutch/sprocket cover area on. It worked okay i guess, but it wasn't the best thing. i drove around to three places looking for metric screws that long...they dont exist, period.

i ended up using standard bolts with a simliar thread and shorter length. they go in a bit, and get tight...so basically my cover is secured with 3 of the proper fitting screws, and 3 standard bolts help stabilize it.

g'luck if you can find actual metric ones that fit. they're over 100mm long i believe.

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
                i've done this before...my old 550 had only three screws holding the clutch/sprocket cover area on. It worked okay i guess, but it wasn't the best thing. i drove around to three places looking for metric screws that long...they dont exist, period.
                I've done the same thing, when I had to drill out a couple of final drive cover bolts on the 550. After exhausting all the local hardware stores, I managed to find a couple of specialty fastener stores in town who would order them for $2 or $3 a piece (Canadian). Ultimately, I found the dealership could order the bolts for the same price, so I just went that route.

Some of the fastener stores in town had allen-head bolts of the correct size in stock, so you may have some luck with that.

Someone posted this link a while back -- you may be able to find your bolts there:

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

I have no experience with these guys, but I remember reading good things. Good luck!

Michael

Comment

Just don't use that red loctite. Kawasaki uses it on the ZRX for damn near everything and what a pain that is to get off!@#$% 8O

Comment

Allen head bolts are really nice but should come with a word of caution. As our resident engineer knows, the gain in leverage makes it much easier to overtighten them and break them off. That's when the real fun begins.
                    It's not the bolts fault. It's the idiot with the wrench. If you are unsure how much to tighen them - get a micro torque wrench and use it. I don't have the specs in hand, but I'm willing to hazard a guess at about 8 ft lbs.

My buddy is 6'7" and weighs about 270. He's a damn animal and when I see him tighten bolts I cringe. I just yell at him "Go ahead an snap it off Jack" and laugh.

Stick with metric bolts also.

Comment

Found some allen head bolts at a local nut and bolt store. I think they look better than the original and I am thinking about replacing all of the engine bolts now.
                      Put it back together tonight but havent riden yet. It is too loud and I have an a**hole for a neighbor. Still looking for afordable exaust (mine was gutted before I got it.)

Comment

There was a complete set of Allen head bolts for our bikes on eBay, I believe. About $22.00. I forget if I searched for GS, or GS 550 (or GS550) ... maybe under Allen GS? Sorry But I know they were there, and brand new, with all the sizes needed for the motor. Just a thought.

Comment

If you go to http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/
                          you will find under the "chassis" heading that they sell complete allen bolt sets for various GS's. I replaced all mine a long time ago. :-)
                          (theyre cheaper new than on ebay too. LOL)

Earl

Originally posted by Gabriel
                          There was a complete set of Allen head bolts for our bikes on eBay, I believe. About $22.00. I forget if I searched for GS, or GS 550 (or GS550) ... maybe under Allen GS? Sorry But I know they were there, and brand new, with all the sizes needed for the motor. Just a thought.
                          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                            If you go to http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/
                            you will find under the "chassis" heading that they sell complete allen bolt sets for various GS's. I replaced all mine a long time ago. :-)
                            (theyre cheaper new than on ebay too. LOL)

Earl
                            Not surprising, I've seen that that happens on eBay fairly frequently. People overbid too much sometimes. Though I do love it when I'm selling something and it works in my favor

Comment

Working...
                            X