No announcement yet.

Anybody ever go battery-less?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It sounds like you know what you want and have put some serious thought into the build. I already want to see pictures!

Comment

Originally posted by wkmpt View Post
      On a stock bike, what stops the lighting system from draining the battery to zero if the charging system isn't enough to compensate for them?
      What keeps the battery going for a while is ... RESERVE CAPACITY.

How long it keeps going will depend on the load and the condition of the battery, but it should go several minutes to half an hour or so with the engine running, putting out at least a minimal amount of juice. With the engine off, it might only take 5 or 10 minutes to drain the battery far enough that it won't run the bike, if the lights are left on. With a capacitor (battery eliminator), I have a sneaking hunch that time would be less than 5 to 10 seconds to drain the capacitor, but I have absolutely no experience with them.

If I was working with you on this project, I would really try to convince you to keep the stock charging system, but clean up the locations to your preference, and hide a smaller sealed AGM battery in the tail section where it won't be seen.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
        Search for the original 'cafe racer build' thread that Beergood wrote. He went battery-less.
        I think this is it...

But it's not rigid.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
        X